R. Anthony Askew
Professor of Art and Director of Reynolds Gallery
Phone: (805) 565-6161
Office Location: Upstairs Art Center
Printmaking, Assemblage, Collage
In the past 35 years working as an educator and an artist I continually hope that my work reflects the optimism and zeal that life holds for me. I have been blessed with a loving family, supportive friends and stimulating colleagues, all with gratitude to God’s faithfulness.
My academic pursuit since the mid 1970’s has structurally been involved with the relationship of compositional elements that play with each other creating relationships in space, contrast of value, linear impact, and sometimes responding to found objects.
Ideally I like my work to combine three things: a child-like quality, positive and uninhibited; Eastern awareness of tradition and ceremony as necessary to the act of creating; and the sense of a work shifting away from the subject (and from realism) toward process (activity) doing, seeing, and inventing.
- M.A., California State University, Los Angeles, 1971
Selected Professional Positions
- Professor of Art, Westmont College, 1982-present
- Director, Reynolds Gallery, Westmont College, 1984-present
- Chairman, Santa Barbara High School Department of Art, 1972-81
Selected One Person Exhibitions
- Art Resources, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, and Chicago, IL
- Kirvan Bartosewitz Gallery, Palm Springs, CA
- Watkins Institute, Nashville, TN
- Ely House, London, England
- Municipal Gallery, Oslo and Trondheim, Norway
- ART/LIFE Cover art work, 1994
- ART/LIFE, 1989-94
- ART/WORKS, Tokyo, Japan, 1990
- Sprint - Reproduction/cover design Spring Program, 1990
- Buyer’s Guide to Contemporary Crafts, American Crafts Enterprises, 1982-84.
- Watercolor Sonata, Ordway Music Theatre, Spring Vol. V, #4, St. Paul, MN, 1990