Mission of the Chemistry Department
The mission of the chemistry department at Westmont College is to provide a nationally competitive chemistry program that helps our students become competent, thoughtful, and theologically reflective scientists, teachers, health care providers, and citizens of our world.
Goals for our Graduates
Department Goals and Outcomes1) Our students will be prepared for professional careers in chemistry.
- - as skilled entry level employees in industry.
- - as enthusiastic educators in elementary and secondary schools.
- - as competent graduate students in chemistry, biochemistry, and chemica l engineering.
- - as motivated medical and dental students.
- Outcome: Our graduates will enter the career path of their choice as defined above.
- Benchmark: 75% of our graduates will meet this outcome.
- Outcome: Students will demonstrate their knowledge on the ACS National Standardized exams and on the MCAT.
- Benchmark: The average performance on ACS National Exams will be at least in the 60th percentile, with 30% of the students scoring above the 80th percentile, in each course that has an exam. The average score on the Physical Science (PS) and Biological Science (BS) areas of the MCAT will be at the 60th percentile or higher.
3) Students will be skilled in working in the laboratory and will be competent in experiment design and problem solving by the time of graduation.
- Outcome: Our graduates will be involved in a summer research project; either at Westmont or another facility, and some of our students will complete a major honors project. Students will demonstrate their understanding of basic experimental design in senior level physical chemistry laboratory essay.
- Benchmark: At least 50% of our graduates will participate in summer research; at least two graduates each year will complete a major honors project; our seniors will score 24 on the senior level physical chemistry laboratory essay.
- Outcome: Our graduates will have a lifelong enthusiasm and love for chemistry
- Benchmark: At least 75% of our graduates will report that their Westmont chemistry experience developed a lifelong enthusiasm and love for chemistry.
- Outcome: Our students will demonstrate their knowledge and perspective on an essay exam given as part of CHM 195.
- Benchmark: Most of our students will attain at least a satisfactory score (according to our grading rubric) on their integration of faith and learning paper given in CHM 195 as graded by two department readers. 30% of our students will attain an excellent score or higher.