Professor of Communication Studies
Phone: (805) 565-6195
Office Location: Deane Hall 105
Monday 3:15-5:15 p.m.
Thursday 1:00-4:00 p.m.
and by appointment
Professor Spencer Teaches:
- Messages, Meaning, & Culture
- Media Ethics
- Seminar: Rhetoric of Transition (for graduating seniors)
- Ph.D. in Communication from the University of Oregon
- M.S. in Communication from the University of Oregon
- B.S. in Speech Communication from California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo
- Rhetorical Proprioception: How Words Frame Our Sense of Order
- Media Ethics
- Religious Rhetoric
Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Awakening the Quieter Virtues, Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2010
- Guardian of the Veil, Monroe, La: Howard Fiction, 2007.
- "The Welkening: How Fantasy Encourages Readers to Accept Otherness,” conference on Christianity and Literature, January 28, 2005.
- The Welkening: A Three Dimensional Tale, Monroe, La: Howard Fiction, 2004.
- "An Incarnational Guide to Communication: S.I.T. Before You Stand,” Radix 29:4, 2002: 7-11.
- "The Thrill of Despair and Other Ways Television Reframes Human Suffering,” Radix 26:4, 1999:
- A Heart For Truth: Taking Your Faith to College, Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Book House, 1992.
Chapter excerpted: "Emotional Fornication," New Attitude, Vol. 2, No. 3: 20-25.
- Boundless Webzine Article, "Being Real is a Real Problem."
- Boundless Webzine Article, "Real Presence and the Image Consciousness Fairy."
- Boundless Webzine Article, "Authentic Phony."