Professor of Entrepreneurial Finance
Phone: (805) 565-6193
Office Location: Deane Hall
Monday and Wednesday 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday 1:00-2:30 p.m.
and by appointment
- 1981 - BSBA The King’s College. Briarcliff Manor, NY.
- 1982 - MBA The Sawyer Business School. Suffolk University, Boston, MA.
- 1987-88 PhD Resident program in Finance, UMass-Amherst.
- 1990 - DBA U.S. International University, San Diego, CA.
- WESTMONT. 1990-Present (founder: Entrepreneurship program)
- Pepperdine Univ. Business School, Los Angeles, CA 1984-1987; 1988-1990.
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst. 1987-1988.
- "Underwriting Spreads as Indicators of the Degree of Mispricing in Unseasoned Equity Offers." doctoral dissertation ©1990 (TX-3-060-322 by Dissertation Abstracts International, July 1990).
- In Eckett, S. and P. Jenks (editors), The Global Investor Book of Investing Rules, (London: Harriman House, August 2001) ISBN 1-89759-713-4. Chapter titled: Small-Cap Stocks.
- How To Be An Internet-Stock Investor, (Chicago: McGraw-Hill, June 2000) ISBN 0-07-135771-8.
- How To Be A Small-Cap Investor. (Chicago: McGraw-Hill, May 1999) ISBN 0-07-047183-5. - Selected "1999 Top-10 Books in Investing and Personal Finance" by Forbes magazine, and the November 1999 Book of the Month" by Money magazine.
- Entrepreneurial Ethics: Values and Decision Making in Successful New Ventures. (Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall-Hunt Publishing Co., August 1997) ISBN 0-7872-3772-8.
- In Biberman, J. (Editor) - The 1997 Business Research Yearbook. (Lanham, MD: University Press, May 1997) ISBN 1-889-54005.
- Co-authored with Blake, D. in Alkhafaji, A.(Editor), The 1995 Business Research Yearbook. (Lanham, MD: University Press, May 1995) ISBN 0-8191-9945-1.
- In Maroun, J. (Editor) Decision Making in Business, (Los Angeles: Roxbury Publishing, April 1991), 3rd Edition, ISBN 0-935732-28-4 Chapters 17, 18, and 32.
- In Maroun, J., (Editor) Decision Making in Business, (Los Angeles: Roxbury Publishing, May 1986), 2nd Edition, ISBN#0-935732-07-1 Chapters 27, 28.
Journals, Magazines, Newspapers, Proceedings
Over 130 articles authored or co-authored in various academic journals, conference proceedings, and periodicals (Sept 1984-present) including: Success, INC. , Business Week, Your Money, Solutions, Entrepreneur, BIZ, Miami Herald, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Red Herring, Industry Week Growing Companies, eRaider, Entrepreneur.com, Your Company, U.S. Assoc of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, Int’l Council of Small Business, Entrepreneurship Education, and others.
Over 90 invited conference presentations, lectures, keynote addresses, and speeches since 1984 to dozens of professional organizations, trade groups, academic associations, investment clubs, venture forums, colleges-universities, and political action conventions ranging from the 2003 INC.-500 National Awards, to Internet World-1999 in Manhattan, to Young America’s Foundation FreedomFest-2005, to Christian Booksellers Association 1998-national convention, to King’s College-NY downtown lecture series at the Empire State Building, to YAF’s 2004-West Coast Leadership Conference, to the 2006 inaugural Reagan Ranch Leadership Academy, to campuses such as UCLA, Syracuse Univ., Univ. of Colorado, Grand Valley State, McMaster Univ.-Canada, and regularly at the annual meetings of academic associations such as USASBE, ICSB, IABD, AM, and GFA.
Television and Radio
- Invited guest: CNN-Radio "The State of Business in America" hosted by Ali Velshi, other guests were Brian Dumaine - editor of Fortune Small Business magazine, and Rieva Lesonsky - editor of Entrepreneur magazine (July 14, 2006). Podcast at: www.CNN.com (see Long-form podcasts).
- Invited guest: CNN-television, Anderson Cooper 360 "Top Entrepreneurs of the 20th Century" hosted by Anderson Cooper, discussing Starbucks founder Howard Schultz (June 16, 2006).
- Invited guest: The Mark James Show, KOGO-600AM San Diego, CA, discussing America’s War on Terror, Live from FreedomFest National Convention, in Las Vegas (May 14, 2005).
- Invited guest: Chamber of Commerce Radio program "This Week in Small Business" hosted by Mike Moore and Diane Donaher, discussing: Funding Alternatives for Entrepreneurs (March 14, 2005).
- Invited guest: CNN-fn program "Your Money" hosted by Ali Velshi, discussing Funding Criteria Entrepreneurs Need to Know (July 14, 2004).
- Invited guest: KEY-TV (ABC-affiliate) program, "Central Coast Business", hosted by Gabe Saglie, discussing Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development Programs (February 12, 2004).
- Invited guest: KCOY-TV (Fox-affiliate) program, "Business Matters", hosted by Keith Carls, discussing The Tech + Entrepreneurial Rebound on California’s Central Coast (February 10, 2004).
- Invited guest: CNN-fn program "Your Money" hosted by Ali Velshi, discussing Federal + State grants/aid for Entrepreneurs (February 10, 2004).
- Invited guest: CNN-fn program "Your Money" hosted by Ali Velshi, Can Entrepreneurship Be Taught? (August 5, 2003).
- Invited guest: KOMO-Radio Seattle hosted by Brian Gregory, Are We in a Double-Dip Recession?, (October 21, 2002).
- Invited guest: UPN-Network talk-show "At-Odds" pilot discussing Small Business Financing (May 2, 2002).
- Invited guest: Sky-Radio Network airline in-flight broadcast segment "Entrepreneurs in Action" hosted by Carol Hiller, played on 21 airlines (June-September 2001).
- Invited guest: SmartForce CBS-TV Menlo Park, CA "Lessons for Entrepreneurs from Small Cap Stocks" hosted by Ronait Tynan (March 23, 2001).
- Contestant: VH-1 Rock-n-Roll Jeopardy, hosted by Jeff Brobst, 1st season 4th show (Aug 8, 1998).
- Chief Economic Consultant, Hispanic Business magazine. Jan-Dec 1994.
- Contributing Editor - Growth Capital, Industry Week Growing Companies magazine. Jan 1998-Dec 2000.
- Contributing Editor - Small-Cap Stocks, eRaider.com. April 1999-Feb 2001.
- Contributing Editor - Business Financing, Entrepreneur.com. Jan 2000-Jan 2005
- Monthly Columnist - What’s The Point?, Entrepreneur magazine. April 2003-March 2004.
- Consultant to 150+ public and privately-held companies for: start-up business plans, strategic turnarounds, mergers + acquisitions, financial strategies, and firm valuations. Sept 1984-present. Recognized expert-witness for court-room testimony in business-related litigation. July 1994-present.
- Founder + CEO: TechKnowledge Point Corporation and global online research + referral exchange; EntrePoint.com annual collegiate entrepreneurship programs national rankings (5th Annual - Spring 2007); S.E.E.D. national collegiate venture forum (4th Annual - March 2007).