Professor of Economics & Business
Phone: (805) 565-6781
Office Location: Deane Hall
Monday 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Tuesday 2:00-4:00 p.m.
and By Appointment
Comparative Economic Systems and Development,
- B.S. 1965, Greenville College (Illinois).
- M.A. 1971, Northern Illinois University.
- Doctor of Arts 1982, Illinois State University.
Teaching and Administrative Experience
Westmont College (1979-Present)
- Principles of Economics,
- Intermediate Micro Economics,
- Intermediate Macro Economics,
- Managerial Economics,
- History of Economic Thought,
- Money and Banking,
- Comparative Economic Systems,
- Seminar on Modern Economic Problems
- Christian Economic Lifestyle,
- Seminar on World Poverty and Economic Development.
Participant–International Business Institute
Committees: Petition, Athletic, Faculty Benefits, Professional Development, Personnel, Ethics, Internationalizing the Curriculum, Faculty Council
Administrative: Department Chairman 1984-2000, Athletic Committee, Chairman, Professional Develoment Committee Chairman, Faculty Benefits Committee Chairman, Building Manager 1992-1998.
Greenville College, Greenville, Illinois (1967-1979), Associate Professor
Courses Taught: Principles of Economics, Labor Economics, Comparative Economics Systems, International Economics, Public Finance, Money and Banking, Monetary and Fiscal Policy, Marketing Research, Investments, Economics Seminar.
Committees: Faculty Council, Faculty Welfare, Religious Life.
Administrative: Co-Chairman, Business and Economics Department. Sponsor, Business Club (organized annual field trip).
Assistant Baseball, Tennis Coach.
Illinois State University (1976-1977)
Three semesters teaching Principles of Economics.
Doctoral Dissertation: "Modified PSI in Intermediate Micro- Economics: Course Materials Production and Evaluation."
Westmont Magazine: "Is Capitalism Christian?: La Paz, Winter, 1981. "Capitalism and Liberation Theology in Latin America," (with Edd Noell), Working Papers of the Association of Christian Economists, first series, 1991.
Book review of Jim Halteman, Market Capitalism and Christianity, Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1988, in Christian Scholar’s Review, 23 (June 1994), p. 476.
Intermediate Macroeconomics text: Macroeconomic Essentials, unpublished.
Extensive powerpoint animated graphics slides for Principles of Microeconomics,
Intermediate Macroeconomics, Survey of Economics, Principles of Macroeconomics.
- Consultant for West Publishing: Blind review of a Principles of Economics textbook.
- Consultant and reviewer of testbank for Economics by Robert Ekelund and Robert Tollison, New York, Harper Collins, 1991.
- Participant, instructor in summer International Business Institute in Europe ten summers from 1980 to 1995
- Co-leader and instructor Westmont fall semester in Europe 1993
- Participant, instructor in summer Westmont in Asia program in summers 1998 and 1999
- Directed summer course economic development in Honduras, 1991.
- Member, American Economics Association, Western Economics Association.
- Former Memberships, Midwest Economics Association, Illinois Economics Association.
Honors & Awards
- Teaching Assistantship, Illinois State University 1976-7.
- Grants: Metro East-St. Louis Regional Council on Interinstitutional Cooperation for Development and Evaluation of PSI Course for Intermediate Micro-Economics.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics Honor Society)
- Selected to participate in "Recent Developments in Applied Economics" in the summer of 84 at the University of Chicago.
- Top five, Teacher of the Year, Westmont College, 1984