Visiting Assistant Professor of English
Phone: (805) 565-7176
Office Location: Reynolds Hall 104
TuTh 10:30 - 12:00
and by appointment
Seventeenth-century English literature; Milton; literature and science
- 2010 PhD, English Literature, University of British Columbia
- 2005 Master of Arts, English Literature, Baylor University
- 2003 Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, Baylor University, University Scholars
2014-2015 Visiting Assistant Professor, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA
2011-2013 Lilly Postdoctoral Fellow in the Humanities, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN
2010-2011 Lecturer, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
Natural Theology in the Scientific Revolution: God’s Scientists. (London, UK: Pickering & Chatto, 2014).
- “‘His Footstep Trace’: the Natural Theology of Paradise Lost.” Milton Studies 55 (2014): 53-85.
- Milton’s Lucretian Anxiety Revisited.” Renaissance and Reformation 32.3 (2009): 79-97.
- “Wordsworth’s The Prelude as Autobiographical Epic” The Charles Lamb Bulletin 141 (2008): 13-19.
- “Beyond Parody: Satan as Aeneas in Paradise Lost.” Milton Quarterly 39.2 (2005): 82-92.
- “Pulvis et Umbra Sumus: Horace in Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises.” Hemingway Review 25.1 (2005): 120-31.
- Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA
- Gordon College, Wenham, MA
- Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN
- The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Strategies for University Writing (Fall 2010, Spring 2011)
British Literature, 1800-present (Spring 2011)
Approaches to Literature: Christianity and Literature (Fall 2008)
Renaissance Literature (Spring 2008, Fall 2009, Spring 2009, Fall 2010)
Introduction to Literary Theory (Fall 2007)
Approaches to Literature (Fall 2005, Spring 2006)
- Baylor University, Waco TX
ENG 158 - Renaissance Literature (Spring 2015)
ENG 046 - British Literature to 1800 (Fall 2014)
ENG 006 - Studies in Literature: Science and Religion in Western Literature (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016)
ENG 002 - Composition (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015)
ENG 060 - Writers in Conversation: Science and Literature
Western Literature (Spring 2014)
Foundations in Thinking, Reading and Writing (Fall 2013)
Texts and Contexts II (Spring 2012, Spring 2013)
Seminar on Paradise Lost (Spring 2013)
Literature and Science (Fall 2012)
Literature of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries (Fall 2012)
Seminar on the Rise of Science (Spring 2012)
Milton and His World (Fall 2011)
Thinking, Writing and Research (Spring 2005)
Thinking and Writing (Fall 2004)
Awards and Fellowships
2011-2013 Lilly Postdoctoral Fellowship in Humanities and English, Valparaiso University
2011-2012 Outstanding Teacher Awards, Valparaiso University
Delta Delta Delta Sorority
Office of Multicultural Programs
2009-2010 Gilean Douglas Scholarship in English, University of British Columbia
2008-2009 Pacific Century Graduate Scholarship, University of British Columbia
Spring 2008 Doctoral Teaching Fellow, University of British Columbia
2006-2008 University Graduate Fellowships, University of British Columbia
2005-2006 Graduate Entrance Scholarship, University of British Columbia
1999-2003 Regent’s Scholarship, Baylor University
- “‘The Boy and the Watch-Maker’: John Bunyan’s Book for Boys and Girls and Natural
- “The Storybook of Nature: John Ray’s The Wisdom of God, 1691.” Conference on Christianity
- “Three Ways of Reading ‘Two Books’: John Wilkins, John Ray and Richard Bentley.” The Bible
- “Milton’s Lucretian Anxiety Revisited.” 9th International Milton Symposium, London, UK.
- “‘Denominating Such Discourse as this’: The Natural Theology of Henry More and John
- “What the Lion Meant: Spenser’s Use of Animals in Book 1 of The Faerie Queene.” Conference on
- “Imagine There’s No Heaven: Lucretius in Milton’s Paradise Lost.” Conference on Christianity
- “Saints and Thieves: Community and the Self in Dante’s Inferno.” Art and Soul Conference,
- “The Two Wordsworths in The Prelude, Book I.” Conference of College Teachers of English
Theology.” International John Bunyan Society Seventh Triennial Conference. Princeton, NJ. August 2013.
and Literature. Grand Rapids, MI, April 2012.
in Seventeenth Century, University of York, UK, July 2011.
Ray.” Pacific Northwest Renaissance Society, Vancouver, BC. April 2008.
Christianity and Literature, Langley, BC. May 2007.
and Literature, Malibu, CA. March 2006.
Waco, TX. April 2005.
Annual Meeting, Waco, TX. March 2005.