Dr. Jody AllenRandolph
Assistant Professor of English
Jody Allen Randolph came to Westmont in 2003. Previously she lectured in the graduate program at University College Dublin, and served as Assistant Dean of the British Studies at Oxford Programme at St. John’s College, Oxford. During her graduate studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara she held research fellowships from the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation, the Interdisciplinary Humanities Center and University of California Regents. Jody’s research and teaching specialties lie in 20th century and contemporary poetry, Irish literature and culture, and Anglophone literatures. She has worked closely with poet Eavan Boland, and written extensively on her work. She has also worked extensively with other Irish poets, including Michael Longley, Derek Mahon, and Paula Meehan. In 2007 she published Eavan Boland: A Sourcebook with Carcanet Press in England, which was awarded a Poetry Book Society Special Commendation, and will bring out an American edition with W.W. Norton in 2008. She is currently at work on Interviews from a New Ireland to be published by Carcanet in 2009, and on a book on the sixties generation in Irish poetry.
- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1999.
- Graduate Studies in Anglo-Irish Literature, University College Dublin, 1989-93.
- M.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1990.
- B.A., summa cum laude, Birmingham-Southern College, 1985.
- Eavan Boland: A Sourcebook. New York: W.W. Norton, 2008
- Eavan Boland: A Sourcebook. Manchester: Carcanet, 2007. (A Poetry Book Society Special Commendation )
- Co-editor, Colby Quarterly Review: Special Issue on Michael Longley September 2003.
- Editor, Colby Quarterly Review: Special Issue on Eavan Boland December 1999.
- Co-editor of The Irish University Review: Special Issue on Derek Mahon Spring /Summer 1994.
- Co-editor of The Irish University Review: Special Issue on Eavan Boland Spring/Summer 1993.
Selected Essays, Reviews, Interviews, Major Bibliographies, Videos
- Interview with Paula Meehan PN Review Spring 2008.
- “Snow Water: Poetry of Experiment.” PN Review Spring 2005.
- “Michael Longley in Conversation with Jody AllenRandolph.” PN Review Winter 2004.
- “Still Traveling to Ithacca.” Poetry Ireland Review Summer 2004.
- “The Corner of the Canvas: Review Essay.” Poetry Ireland Review Fall 2004.
- “Interview with Michael Longley.” Colby Quarterly Review September 2003.
- “Introduction.” Colby Quarterly Review September 2003.
- Essays on Patrick Kavangah, Thomas Kinsella, and Louis MacNeice in Everything Irish. Eds. Lelia Ruckenstein and James O’Malley. New York: Ballantine Books, 2003.
- “Eavan Boland,” The Blackwell Companion to Modern Irish Culture. Ed. Bill McCormack. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 2001.
- “Contemporary Irish Women’s Poetry.” The Women’s Review of Books May 2000.
- “A Backward Look.” PN Review May/June 2000.
- “Mary O’Malley” and “Eavan Boland” Encyclopedia of Ireland. Ed. Ciaran Brady. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- “Interview with Eavan Boland” Colby Quarterly December 1999.
- “Introduction.” Colby Quarterly December 1999.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism 113 Fall 1998 (reprint of three earlier essays on Eavan Boland).
- “The American Love Lyric: Interview with Jack Gilbert.” Lannan Foundation: Readings and Conversations Video Series. Running time 60 minutes. Los Angeles: Lannan Foundation, 1997.
- “Writing in a Time of Violence.” The Irish Times 1 January 1996.
- “The New Critics: The Analytical Prose of Adrienne Rich and Eavan Boland.” PN Review November/December 1995.
- “Remembering Life before Thatcher: Selected Poems by Carol Ann Duffy.” The Women’s Review of Books May 1995.
- “Finding a Voice Where She Found a Vision: A Retrospective Essay on Eavan Boland’s Poetry.” PN Review
- “Reorientations: New Irish Poetry: Mary O’Donnell, Mary O’Malley, Conor O’Callahan.” PN Review July/August 1994.
- “Derek Mahon: A Comprehensive Bibliography.” The Irish University Review Spring/Summer 1994.
- “In Conversation with Eavan Boland.” PN Review September/October 1993.
- “ Private Worlds, Public Realities: Eavan Boland’s Poetry 1967-1990.” The Irish University Review Spring/Summer 1993.
- “Interview with Eavan Boland.” The Irish University Review Spring/Summer 1993.
- “Eavan Boland Checklist: A Selected Bibliography.” The Irish University Review Spring/Summer 1993.
- “A Poet for the Post-Robinson Era.” The Irish Literary Supplement Fall 1992.
- “A Passion for the Ordinary: Eavan Boland’s Poetry 1980-1990.” The Women’s Review of Books April 1992.
- “Ecriture Feminine and the Authorship of Self.” Colby Quarterly Review March 1991.
At Westmont she teaches:
- Twentieth Century Poetry
- Anglophone Poetry
- Irish Literature and Culture
- Black Atlantic Women Writers
- Composition Theory and Pedagogy
- Advanced Composition
- Creative Writing