Our mission is to provide a program of study in mathematics and to assist students in their general intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth as Christian thinkers. We want students to:
- acquire mathematical knowledge and analytical ways of thinking,
- develop the ability to communicate mathematical ideas,
- mature as creative mathematicians and problem solvers, and
- ponder the connections between faith and mathematics.
Ultimately, we seek to serve others and glorify Jesus Christ by preparing scientists, teachers, scholars, and other professionals to use their mathematical gifts with competence and charity.
Program Learning OutcomesAs a result of what they have learned in their mathematics program, graduates in mathematics will be able to do the following:
- Core Knowledge. Students will demonstrate knowledge of the main concepts, skills, and facts of the discipline of mathematics.
- Communication. Students will be able to communicate mathematical ideas following the standard conventions of writing or speaking in the discipline.
- Creativity. Students will demonstrate the ability to formulate and make progress toward solving nonroutine problems.
- Christian Connection. Students will incorporate their mathematical skills and knowledge into their thinking about their vocations as followers of Christ.