PSY 013 APA Template
The goal of this assignment is to create a template for any APA-style writing you will do in the future--in this course or another psychology course.
To prepare for this assignment:
• Skim and read pp. 9-11, 23-59 in the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.), as needed.
• Read the information at the links on the department's writing web pages which begin here. Particularly important are the sections on Method from the 5th edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association and on using MSWord efficiently to create an APA-style document.
• Review the sample papers in the manual (pp. 40-60).
• You will also find parts of Chapters 3, 4, 6 and 7 (typing instructions on pp. 228-231) of the Manual helpful.
To complete this assignment:
• Create a MSWord document that sets up APA-style format.
• Set margins, centering or left-justification of text, hanging indents, headings, paragraph indents, and so on for the appropriate parts of the document.
• Create the sections of an APA-style empirical paper: Title page, Introduction, Method, Results, Discussion, References, Table, Figure.
• Type text in the document as needed to show the instructor what the formatting is and to remind yourself what the formatting is and what it is for (e.g., This is the format used for beginning each paragraph; or, This is the Level 1 Heading format).