RESPONSIBILITIES OF ADVISORS AND STUDENTS
- Post office hours and let students know what times are available for advising.
- Provide accurate and specific information.
- Be familiar with the college catalog and departmental offerings.
- Listen to the student. Guide the student in the decision making process.
- Review student’s registration material to ensure the proper selection of courses.
- Suggest other available resources.
The Student’s Responsibilities
- Contact and keep in touch with advisor (best to do well in advance of official registration)
- Come to appointments with the necessary materials.
- Ask specific questions.
- Be familiar with the college catalog.
- Discuss concerns regarding major, life choices, vocation, etc.
- Build a schedule of classes based on courses needed or desired.
- Ask about college resources
Adapted from How You and Your Advisor will Work Together, University of Iowa, 1981