Westmont Activities Council  [12-15 hours/week]
The Westmont Activities Council serves the Westmont Community by planning and implementing large-scale co-curricular events and programs that support the mission of the college and the educational priorities of Student Life. Students will develop and hone expertise working in program implementation under the guidance and direction of the Assistant Director of Campus Life. Examples of programs and events include focus weeks, dances, concerts, educational speakers & current event round tables.
Who can apply?
Westmont students with the following characteristics may apply for a position with the Westmont Activities Council:
• Strong ability to manage time well, meet deadlines, maintain a high level of organization and manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
• Ease and professionalism in working with faculty, staff, community members, fellow students and local event providers
• Possesses an understanding of Westmont's mission, campus environment and culture (current or previous experience on the programming board or in student leadership is desirable)
• Strives to manifest Christian commitment in thought, word, and deed
• Maintains full-time student status at Westmont and fulfills the college's eligibility requirements for participation in campus activities as reflected in the Student Handbook.
What are the Specific Responsibilities?
Westmont Activities Council expectations are as follows:
• Each of the six Council members will work as a team in the planning and implementation of WAC programming under the direction of the WAC director and the supervision of the Assistant Director of Campus Life.
• Guide and oversee a volunteer student programming board that provides planning support and on-site assistance for events
• Meet weekly with the Assistant Director of Campus Life for group and individual meetings
• Learn and study event planning mechanics
• Collaborate with student organizations, academic departments and campus offices to plan special events
• Attend WCSA meetings to stay connected to semesterly large-scale event proposals
• Regularly update programming database to keep programming records current and helpful for future interns
• Create and distribute publicity and advertisements for events
• Research event logistics & communicate with potential vendors; negotiate contracts, book services, speakers, venues, rentals, caterers, etc.
• Manage ticket sales
• Purchase event supplies
• Work before, during and after all events: set up, collecting tickets, event maintenance, addressing policy violations (sneaking in, alcohol issues, etc.) & cleanup
• Attend all student leadership training sessions including the fall and spring retreats and all leadership lunches and Leadership Live sessions.
What's the compensation?
Westmont Activities Council members will receive an annual stipend of $2100 for their dedicated efforts August – May under the management of the Assistant Director of Campus Life.