Requirements for Off-Campus Commuters
The number of off-campus local/commuters is limited each semester by Westmont, so some students who wish to live off-campus may not allowed to do so. See Off-Campus Commuting for more information.
- Personal attendance at an Off-Campus Living Workshop is required in order t be eligible to live off-campus. Current students must have attended a workshop prior to the off-campus request deadline (March 16, 2015) for a request to be considered. The workshops are scheduled on December 8 or 9, 2014 [in Adams Hall] and March 10 or 11, 2015 [in Winter Hall] from 9:00-10:00PM. Students who aleady reside off-campus are not required to attend, unless they have been specifically asked to do so.
- Students must submit the Off-Campus Living Agreement prior to the off-campus request deadline (March 16, 2015), and agree to provide their off-campus residence and phone information before they live off-campus. As stated on the form, the "living agreement" is not a housing request. See Off-Campus Living Agreement.
- Students must provide off-campus residence (not a P.O. box) and phone contact information to Housing before they live off-campus. Failure to provide this information may result in the forfeiture of the approval to reside off-campus, or other sanctions.
- Students must submit the online form, "Request for Off-Campus," to request to live off-campus (see below). After the March deadline for off-campus requests, students should contact the Housing Office to inquire about the status of their request.
- The DEADLINE for off-campus requests is March 16, 2015 [for Fall 2015-Spring 2016].
- The notification date, for requests submitted by the March 16 deadline, is March 18.
- Students are responsible for requesting housing for each semester of enrollment in which they wish to live off-campus. The off-campus request form allows students to request one or both semesters of the following academic year.
- Requesting for off-campus is only considered as an individual request; it cannot be requested for a group.
- Requests for off-campus precede requests for college housing in the residence halls during the period of housing sign-ups in the Spring semester. For more information, see Housing Sign-Ups for Next Year and particularly Off-Campus Local/Commuting Sign-Ups.
- Some students request off-campus for only a single semester, due to study-abroad or early graduation plans. Once the off-campus limit is reached for each semester, subsequent requests are waitlisted. See Waitlists for information on how we manage the waitlists.
- Waitlisted requests for off-campus local/commuting will be displayed on the Student Profile with this housing code: OCL-W# (the "W" stands for waitlisted, so it is not a confirmed assignment).
- Approval to reside off-campus must be granted by Housing. If not granted, requests will be waitlisted or denied. The Housing Office reserves the right to approve or not approve a request to reside off-campus. Any student who is not allowed to reside off-campus is required to live on-campus as a condition of enrollment at Westmont.
- Students who reside off-campus are expected to model the lifestyle and follow the expectations articulated in our Community Life Statement and Community Standards (see Student Handbook). One concern is the potential negative impact on neighbors by events or parties which are noisier than what is acceptable within the neighborhood. Governmental authorities and Westmont will hold off-campus commuters responsible for any negative consequences attributed to their guests or events. Hosts must ensure that no one under 21 years of age consumes alcohol at the residence, and that no one 21 years of age or older drinks excessively. Disciplinary action for such violations includes the full range of sanctions, including expulsion.
- For sophomores who wish to reside off-campus, transportation to campus may be difficult since the only a limited number of parking permits are available for sophomores (See Parking). Living off-campus does not necessarily improve one's "chances" for getting a parking permit. Due to this transportation restriction, the college discourages sophmores from living off-campus. Frankly, it is difficult for sophomores to obtain approval to reside off-campus since the available spots are generally taken by seniors.
- Students should not make any rental commitments or obligations until Housing grants the request to live off-campus.
To submit a request to live off-campus, go to Request for Off-Campus.