Spring Housing Overview
Different strokes for different folks
Put your cursor over Spring Housng (in the navigation bar at left) for specific information according to student constituency:
- New Students
- Returning Students
- Away-Abroad Students
- Re-applicants (former Westmont students)
Waitlist to reside off-campus
If you have not reserved off-campus commuting as your spring housing (during the housing sign-ups in April for the subsequent academic year), it may be unlikely you will be able to reside off-campus. We typically have greater demand to live off-campus than we can allow, which results in a long waitlist for living off-campus. See Off-Campus Commuting for more information.
Anticipate a full campus
While most campus residents return to the same room for spring semester which they occupied for fall semester, there is significant housing activity from fall-to-spring. This activity is largely due to those who return to Santa Barbara from away-abroad programs during the fall (over 100 students). Additional incoming activity is due to those who are newly-admitted at mid-year. This includes as many as 60 new transfers, first-years, consortium visitors and re-applicants. Also, some activity may result from any approved room or roommate changes by Resident Directors among their current residents.
New students and Away-abroad students returning for spring are understandably concerned, perhaps anxious, because campus housing is already quite full. There will be openings on campus, but these tend to be scattered throughout the residence halls as some fall residents graduate, transfer, or leave for an away-abroad program during the spring semester. In other words, few rooms are completely open for roommate groupings in the spring. For this reason, housing for new students and those returning from away-abroad are most likely to be as individual rather than group assignments.
Fall semester residents
Campus residents are surveyed in November by the Resident Directors (RDs) or Resident Assistants (RAs) regarding their spring housing plans:
- to remain in and reserve their same room assignment
- remain and request a specific roommate to fill an opening in the room
- vacate the room
- request a housing/room change
On-campus room assignments for spring semester are generally confirmed by Housing in late November (and occasionally later). Students are not notified. Rather, those who have requested off-campus housing or a change on-campus may view their Student Profile for any confirmed housing assignments or pending off-campus waitlistings which are on file.
On-campus residents will be assigned the same meal plan for spring semester which they had during the fall semester, unless a different plan is requested in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
New campus residents (e.g. transfers, consortium visitors, re-applicants, students returning from away-abroad) are assigned the Standard meal plan, unless a different plan is requested in writing to Housing. Off-campus commuters and Ocean View residents are not assigned a meal plan for spring semester unless it is requested in writing to Housing.
See Meal Plans for more information.
View your housing and meal plan information
We post fall housing and meal plan assignments online at the Student Profile at different times for different constituents. These times are listed under Spring Housing > (according to constituent group: New, Returning, Away-Abroad, Re-Applicants).
The college website displays room and roommate information at these locations:
- Student Profile : includes name(s) of roommate(s) with home contact information, housing assignments for both current and upcoming semesters, and your Westmont mail box and combination.
- Dorm Layouts : displays names of current students in the residence halls, and upcoming semester assignments.
- Student Directory : displays students' mail box #s, email addresses, and phone and home information.
Privacy Note: Students who do not want their information displayed on the Dorm Layouts or Student Directory may ask the Records Office to block it.
Students use their Westmont user name and password to access their profile page. Those who have not set up their password for network access may do so by selecting "Change Your Password?" at the profile login. If you have questions or difficulties with password issues, please contact Information Technology at email@example.com.
Right to assign
The Housing Office reserves the sole right to make all room and roommate assignments, including the right to make changes after assignments have been confirmed and posted online. This includes the right to require students to reside on-campus or off-campus.
Here are examples of why changes may occur:
- In order to not exceed the off-campus limit, by assigning students on-campus even though they might prefer to reside off-campus and commute.
- In order to make additional housing space for students of the opposite sex.
- In order to re-locate residents in the event a building becomes uninhabitable.
- In order to assign with a different roommate. This can occur when a previously-assigned roommate cancels enrollment, or is re-assigned elsewhere by Housing. Note: we prefer that all on-campus residents have a roommate ~ especially new students and first-years.
Former Westmont students who re-apply, or intend to re-apply for the fall semester (a.k.a. re-applicants), may see Re-Applicants for Spring for more information.
Special Needs or Concerns
Late Spring Check-Outs
Each spring semester, a number of students are authorized to check-out later than the standard check-out deadline (i.e. the Friday immediately preceding graduation). Late check-out is only for campus residents who need to stay beyond the Friday check-out deadline for one or more of these reasons:
- Transition to Mayterm or Summer housing on the Sunday morning after graduation.
- Asked by the college to participate in or support graduation ceremonies.
- Asked to support departmental efforts during graduation weekend.
Late check-out is not intended as a way for students to check-out according to their own preferred schedule. Students authorized for late check-out must complete their check-out with residence life staff before the 12:00 noon deadline on the Sunday immediately following graduation (i.e. the day after graduation).
Faculty and staff who wish to make arrangements for students should ask Housing to create a group for them. Once the group is created, the faculty or staff need to login to their own Late Check-Out list and add the names of their students.