Welcome New Hires!
Congratulations on your new position! There will be much to "take in" during your initial weeks and months after starting your new position, so you may wish to help yourself by reviewing this information prior to your arrival.
Explore and Review
- Explore the New Hire Website so that you are well prepared for your first days and weeks, and understand what you need to do and when.
- Review benefits plans so that you are prepared to ask clarifying questions and enroll within 31 days of your hire date. Additional benefit details will be provided during orientation.
- Make sure you are prepared to provide crucial hire documentation, including proof of eligibility to work in the United States, on your first day of work.
- Learn about parking so that you can get to your work location with confidence on your first day. Once you are an active employee you can also check out the carpool website.
- Review information about your department on their website(s); the A-Z Index website is a great entry point to department, program and employee-related sites.
- Think about what initial information will help you start to feel comfortable and begin contributing in your new position; some recommended questions are included below.
Recommended Questions to Ask
Inquiry is the foundation of a higher education institution, so do not feel awkward about asking questions! You may wish to ask these questions of your supervisor, or the human resources representative with whom you've been in contact:
- Whom should I contact if I have questions before I start?
- Ask questions to help you feel a little less stressed on your first day, including:
- Should I bring a lunch my first day?
- If commuting by car: where do I park my first day?
- What time should I arrive at work my first day?
- What is the preferred attire in my department?
- What is the accepted practice for decorating my work space; e.g., may I bring photos from home or other personal items?
- Will I be given a schedule for my first days, such as for meetings or required training?