Spybot Search & Destroy
1. Download Spybot S&D Click here to download detailed instructions in PDF format.
Save the file to your Desktop.
Double-click the downloaded file and clickthrough the installer and then when it’s done.
2. First Use
- If you have previously used Spybot, skip to step 3 (Getting Updates).
- The first time you run Spybot Search & Destroy, you will be presented with a wizard that will walk you through some important tasks. The first step (Registry Backup) is not necessary, so click .
- Click the button. Then click . Once it’s done downloading, click .
- Click . Then click and .
- Skip to step 4 (Scanning for Problems)
3. Getting Updates (Very Important)
- If you haven’t used Spybot in over a week, you should check for updates to Spybot’s detection rules. To do this, click the button after starting Spybot.
- Spybot will then look for updates. If any are found, you will be presented with a screen similar to the one below:
- First, you need to change the server. The list may not be exactly like the one above, but click the drop-down arrow and choose one of the non-European servers since they usually don’t work well. Either an or server will usually work.
- Then click . Spybot will then install the updates and restart itself if necessary.
4. Scanning for Problems
- On the left side, click , then click the button.
- After Spybot has finished searching for problems, you will be presented with a list similar to the one below.
- Make sure that the boxes of all problems found are checked.
- Click Fix selected problems. If Spybot tells you that it can’t fix all the problems unless it is run at the next reboot, click Yes and then restart your computer.
- If Spybot is running after a reboot, you may need to click Search and Destroy in the left column after the scan is complete. That will bring you to the screen detailed above.
- After Spybot says “Finished fixing selected problems,” you can exit.