Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
Download the application or pick up a hard copy from the Off-Campus Programs Office in Kerrwood Hall. The application deadline is November 15.
Who is eligible to participate?
Sophomores, juniors, and seniors from any major. Freshmen are especially encouraged to apply.
Are there prerequisites?
Very few: one semester of college Spanish or the equivalent. Additionally, all participants will attend a 2-unit pre-departure orientation seminar during the spring semester (IS 192).
When is the program?
WIM occurs each fall semester, beginning in mid-August and finishing the first or second week of December.
How much does it cost?
There are no additional costs to study abroad in Mexico; you pay the same tuition, room and board as being on campus and keep your financial aid as well. We’ll even pay your airfare to Mexico (from LAX)!
Who teaches my classes? Who will lead the group?
A Westmont faculty member leads the group and teaches the Engaging Cultures integrative seminar. Other classes and taught by Mexican university professors. Click here for this year's leader.
Where will I live?
Each student lives with a Mexican family who has committed to including you into their family life.
What GEs will I fulfill?
- Modern/Foreign Language (Common Skills)
- Thinking Historically (Common Inquiries)
- Thinking Globally (Common Inquiries)
- Performing & Interpreting the Arts (Common Inquiries)
- Communicating Cross-Culturally (Competent & Compassionate Action)
- Physical Education Activity (Common Skills)
- More advanced students may also fulfill a Writing Intensive course (Common Skills) or Reading Imaginative Literature (Common Inquiries)
When will I know if I have been accepted?
Before Christmas break.
How many students can participate in WIM?
Approximately 12-18 students are accepted for the program, and no more than 20.
What if I still have questions?