Important Update--November 19, 2013
GREAT NEWS-- we have extended the deadline to receive applications for Westmont in Mexico Fall 2014 until Tuesday, December 3, 2013 at 5pm. Please contact Barb Pointer in the Off Campus Programs office if you would like more information. More information on WIM 2014 is available here and applications are available here.
Fall 2014 Westmont in San Francisco applications will be due February 3, 2014.
Westmont is anticipating the need to limit the number of spots available for ALL OTHER off campus programs for Fall '14 through 3rd party programs (i.e. non Westmont run programs) due to enrollment management concerns.
We hope to know more about the number of "spots" we will have available forFall '14 as of early-mid January. If you are interested in being considered for a "spot" Fall 2014, you must be approved first by Westmont prior to applying directly to any off campus program. We have begun a waitlist of interested students, contingent on completing all Westmont OCP paperwork by January 20th, 2014 . Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
How do I go about choosing an Off-campus Program that's right for me during my time at Westmont?
The first step is to set up an appointment with Barb Pointer, Assistant Director of Global Education. Your first semester at Westmont is the ideal time to do so, so as to keep as many options open down the road as possible (even if you do not yet know your major/minor, or even where you would like to study abroad).The OCP office is located in Kerrwood Hall, x6009 or email email@example.com.
OCP encourages you to consider a program that enhances your academic experience overall, and, when possible, your major area of study. Keep this in mind as you browse the OCP site, and talk with your academic advisor(s) and OCP faculty/staff for help determining the program that best fits your needs and interests.
Here are some important questions to consider. . .
Why do I want to study abroad?
- to be challenged to think differently
- to experience another culture
- to go on an adventure/ a trip
Where do I want to go?
- Itinerant vs. stationary
- Domestic vs. international
- Urban vs. rural
Industrial vs. agricultural economy
Where do I want to live?
- Hotels and hostels
- Dorms (with North Americans or internationals)
What kind of community to I want to live and learn with?
- a group or cohort
- I want to be one my own
- Christian vs. secular
What do I want to learn and do? What credits do I want to earn?
- a language
- major/minor credits
- GE/Elective credit + major/minor credit
- an internship/a service component
- English speaking in an international setting
- Language immersion as the primary focus
How much will it cost?
- Westmont tuition (unless the program's tuition is higher)
- Westmont health fee, IT fee and OCP participation fee
- Program room, board, and additional fees (may be more or less than Westmont's room and board)
- Travel--usually extra but occasionally included in room and board costs