The Hiring Process:
Completing an I-9 form with your student employee
Upon completing the student Temporary Employment Agreement, your student may be directed to complete I-9 and W-4 paperwork if necessary. Students will have access through the TEA system to an online electronic version of the I-9 form.
This online form is in place to avoid errors and help to increase our federal work compliance. Students should complete the form online and then bring you their ORIGINAL work authorization documentation for verification. (see page 5 of the I-9 form) so that you may complete your portion of the online form.
Do not provide your student with a paper copy of the I-9 form for any reason.
Additionally, you may not have a student complete an I-9 PRIOR to the creation of a TEA.
Work Authorization Documents:
Section 1: Employee Information
As as supervisor, you are obligated to complete the follow steps when completing the I9 form with your student:
• Review the Student portion of the form for accuracy AND completion and looking for the following items: a. Student name matches identification provided
b. Student dates the form on the actual date they signed it.
c. Student signs and dates the form accurately, not using birthdate as current date.
d. Any blanks on the form are filled out with N/A
• You may NOT under any circumstances make any corrections, additions or adjustments to the student portion of the form. This is to be done by the student employee only.
Work Authorization Documents:
Section 2: Employer Information
When completing the Supervisor portion (Section 2) of the form please make note of the following:
• Supervisors/hiring agents
are required to " physically examine each original document the employee presents to determine if it reasonably appears to be genuine and to relate to the person presenting it.” You may not accept photocopies, scans or facsimilies of documentation related to the I-9 under any circumstances
• Supervisors must examine the documents WITH the employee present! " the examiner of the documents and the employee must both be physically present during the examination of the employee's documents." The person examining the documents MUST be the same person who signs Section 2.
• Be sure that you or the hiring supervisor has provided document #'s, expiration dates, issuing authority,etc.
• Be sure to provide a certification date (first day of work)
When hiring an International or Foreign student please be aware of the following items:
• International students can work on campus, but they need to provide additional information in Section 1 related to their Visa.
• International students must provide their I-94 Admission Number in Section 1. You must photocopy this I-94 along with the documents they provide to establish their identity (usually a foreign passport) and must include the information in List A as an additional document.
• International students also require an I-20, which is a form provided to the student by the Admissions Advisor to International Students. • If you have an international student who wishes to work for you, send them to Admissions for this form so they can hand it to you together with their I-9, I-94, and other List documentation.
• Be sure to upload copies of the work authorization documents along with the completed I-9 form to your secure Egnyte folder within 3 days of signing the form.
• Your student is NOT authorized to begin working upon completing the I-9 paperwork, but rather when you receive an approval email from Career Development & Calling. In compliance with state and federal laws, student employees may not begin working before the TEA and I-9 are processed.
** Please Do Not leave any I-9 paperwork on the desk in Career Development & Calling. **