Appeals by students
When a vehicle is cited for violating a regulation, each citation explains how a student may appeal it (i.e. by emailing to the Public Safety Director, whose email address is listed on each citation). Appeals should be promptly submitted for consideration, and should only be submitted if there is a valid basis for excusing the citation.
Students who park or operate a vehicle on campus, or in the vicinity of the college, must comply with all of Westmont's parking, traffic and vehicle regulations. These regulations are specified in the Vehicle Regulations, the Conditional Use Permit with Santa Barbara County, and throughout this parking site.
When a student is cited for parking or operating a vehicle on campus without a valid permit on the vehicle, an appeal may be submitted by the student if there is a valid basis for excusing the citation. Appeals for permit violations are reviewed by the parking appeals committee which convenes regularly throughout each semester.
Failure to display a valid parking permit will result in a $50 fine per incident, and multiple violations will result in increasingly stern sanctions. These are examples of excuses which are not valid:
- "It's not my fault because I didn't know about the parking permit requirement"
- "It's my roommate's fault because he said it was okay to have the car on campus"
- "It's my professor's/RA's fault because she said it was okay to have the car on campus"
- "My parents brought the car to campus and I was simply moving it to another location"
- "I was providing transportation for other students to an important Westmont event"
- "The car was on campus for only a few minutes"
Here is a valid basis for excusing a permit violation:
- "I was cited this morning, but had reserved my permit in advance and obtained the decal before the end of the day"
Appeals may be submitted by students for parking citations if there is a reasonable and valid basis for appeal. Such citations are given for parking in a restricted parking lot*, a handicapped space, etc. They are reviewed primarily by the Public Safety Director, but may be additionally reviewed by the parking appeals committee which convenes regularly throughout each semester
*Exception: no appeals are accepted for parking citations issued in the supplemental parking lot on Lou Dillon Lane (behind the Ocean View Apartments). This parking lot is not Westmont property, but Public Safety personnel are required to promptly monitor the lot each day as part of our contractual agreement with the owner of the lot. Only Ocean View residents are allowed to use this lot during specified hours.