Juniors & Seniors: Reserve a Permit

Early request from June 1 - July 31 (for Fall 2017 and/or Spring 2018)

June 1-July 31 is the early request discount period.

Eligibility Message:

  1. You must have 59 or more units on record to reserve a permit for the Fall semester (and 72 or more for the Spring permit). Do not try to request until you have the requisite number of units, or contact the Housing & Parking Office if you have reason to believe you should be eligible.
  2. When you login, your units on record AT THE TIME OF YOUR REQUEST will determine your online eligibility.
  3. If your vehicle info screen includes an appeal box, you have been identified as a sophomore. As such, your online request will be UNSUCCESSFUL. You may contact Housing for assistance if you believe you should be eligible for a Regular rather than a Restricted permit.
  4. You may wait until July for your Spring semester units to be recorded (for eligibility purposes). After July, the early request discount is forfeited.
Request "deadline" is July 31

Late requests (after July 31) can be risky, if the demand for permits is extraordinary and the allocation of permits has been exhausted. However, the request program is still operative after July 31.

How to proceed
  1. To request, select PROCEED (see below) to enter your vehicle info.
  2. If you attempt to request a permit before the program is activated on June 1, your request will not be recorded. Try again,, when the program is operative.
  3. You may request a permit for one or both semesters.
  4. Select SUBMIT after completing the vehicle info.
  5. A screen message should immediately indicate your request was SUCCESSFUL. If not, you should contact Housing.
  6. The evolving status of your permit request will NOT display immediately or the same day. It will be displayed on your Profile page within a day or so.
If you don't know the specific vehicle or license plate

Since we require a specific vehicle for permit requests, indicate a vehicle you are most likely to bring when you complete the vehicle information.

Update your own vehicle info to avoid a $15 change fee

If you have any inaccurate or incomplete vehicle info, you should correct/update it BEFORE you pick up your decal. You may retrun to your online request to edit/update your own vehicle information prior to the start of the academic year.

After you have picked up your decal, all edits/changes must be performed by the Housing Office. Each time a change is performed by Housing (e.g. license plate update, a different vehicle than what was originally indicated), a $15 edit/update fee will be charged to your student account (see Costs).

    Requesting a permit online is merely the first step. You do not "have" a valid permit until one is affixed to your vehicle. See How to pick-up your permit for WHEN and WHERE to get your decal.



Confirm the status of your request

Your student profile will display the evolving status for your permit request, within a day or so:

    • No request being processed = no request on file
    • Request unsuccessful = No permit is offered to you; you may contact Housing to inquire
    • Request successful = your request is granted, and you will be charged for it. Refunds for cancelled permits are pro-rated. We're getting a permit ready for you to pick-up.
    • Ready for pick-up = a reserved permit (decal) is ready for you to obtain from Housing, and you will be charged for it whether you pick-it up or not. Your permit is invalid until the physical decal is correctly placed on your vehicle.
    • Permit issued = You will be charged for every week it has been issued (see Costs). An issued permit is ONLY valid for the vehicle it is reserved for.
Temporary Permits

To request a temporary permit, you need to come to the Housing & Parking Office in person with the following information. It is not necessary to bring the vehicle when obtaining a temporary permit, as long as you bring a photo of your license plate or bring the vehicle DMV registration with you. We need:

  • Vehicle make (e.g. Honda)
  • Vehicle model and color (e.g. blue Civic)
  • Vehicle license plate, and state of issuance (e.g. ABC123, CA)

To request a longer-term temporary permit for medical reasons, students need to go to the Campus Health Center or the Office of Disability Services.