Academic SenateMembership (concluding year of service is in parenthesis)
- Humanities Division
- Greg Spencer, Professor of Communication Studies (2014)
- Jim Taylor, Professor of Philosophy (2015)
- Natural and Behavioral Science Division
- Tom Fikes, Professor of Psychology (2015)
- Russell Howell, Professor of Mathematics (Chair, 2014)
- Social Science Division
- Chandra Mallampalli, Professor of History (2015)
- Chris Milner, Professor of Kinesiology (2014)
- “At-large” Faculty Members
- Niva Tro, Professor of Chemistry (2016)
- Telford Work, Professor of Religious Studies (fall replacement for Mary Docter, 2016)
- Administrative and Student Representatives
- Mark Sargent, Provost
- Tatiana Nazarenko, Dean of Curriculum and Educational Effectiveness
- Michelle Hardley, Registrar (Secretary)
- David Dry, WCSA President (2014)
Senate Action (Fall 2013)
- Gave recommendations to Provost for new/replacement position requests.
- Formed a sub-committee to look at the possibility of “pilot” first-year seminars.
- Actions resulting from CUPA assessment in 2012–2013
- Recommended sequencing of Religious Studies courses (effective Fall, 2015).
Language in WebAdvisor will recommend that Doctrine not be taken in the first year.
- Spiritual Formation collaboration
The Provost will initiate an annual planning group including the Campus Pastor, Religious Studies Chair, Martin Institute Director, Student Life representatives, and others as appropriate.
- Committee tasks for Faith-Learning Issues
- Faculty Personnel Committee
The committee has been asked to look at the effectiveness of faith-learning questions that are part of the IDEA evaluation forms. They will be doing so in the Spring semester, 2014.
- Professional Development Committee
The committee has been asked to lead a session once per year for faculty on incorporating faith-learning into the classroom.
- Student Life collaboration
Discussions will take place regarding how the raise the desire of students to grow spiritually and be more involved in the local church.
- Academic dishonesty
Based on input from focus groups lead by WCSA, Senate members decided to survey current students regarding cheating at Westmont. About 160 students have been surveyed. Senate will report the results next semester.
- Report Discussions and approvals
From the Off Campus Programs, GE, and Program Review Committees (click the “Committee Reports” link)
Senate Action (Spring 2013)
- Met jointly with Faculty Council and E-team to discuss the rising cost of a Westmont education.
- Academic Actions
- Approved the OCP committee report.
- Recommended a posthumous degree for Nick Davis.
- Approved changes to the Kinesiology and Computer Science majors.
- Changed the name alternative major to interdisciplinary major.
- Recommended and received faculty approval for a “Northern European” semester.
- Approved a “syllabus guidelines” document as a recommended resource for faculty use.
- Approved Mark Sargent’s proposal for faculty dialog this summer with an educational technology expert.
- Upcoming “big picture” items
- Discussion of GE Committee recommendations: first-year seminar; GE revision
- A Westmont presence in downtown Santa Barbara
- Blended learning
Senate Action (Fall 2012)
- Gave recommendations to the Provost concerning new and replacement faculty position requests; agreed on a modified procedure suggested by the Provost for future years.
- Dialogued with the Provost regarding a better merging of strategic planning with academics.
- Endorsed the Provost’s recommended template for diversity reports.
- Approved GE committee recommendations for certification criteria of Common Context courses: Biblical and Theological Canons; and “Philosophical Reflections on Reality, Knowledge, and Value.”
- Approved reports from the GE and Program Review committees.
Senate Action (Spring 2012)
Senate Action (Fall 2011)
- Definition of an Academic Unit Unit Definition Approved by Senate 29 Sept 11
- A Clock in Every Classroom. Formal request for working clocks in all classrooms (clocks were all installed Spring 2012).
- Faculty & Institutes at Westmont College. Senate request to Strategic Planning teams to consider certain issues and processes.
- E3 Center: Creativity of Concept Acknowledged; Senate requested a more detailed and formal proposal from E&B department.
Senate Action (Spring 2011)
- New Handbook Language for Newly Constituted Senate. Approved by Faculty Spring 2011.
- Approved Off Campus Programs: Westmont in Istanbul & Westmont in Jerusalem (with request for periodic updates from both programs and caveat that future off campus program planning occur in consultation with senate earlier in the process). Approved by Faculty Spring 2011.
- Approved Honors Program, Catalyst (Senate responsible to call for and discuss the results of a review of the pilot program in its fifth year; the Provost would provide incentives for faculty to supervise major honors projects).
- Agreed that Senate will review Westmont sponsored off-campus programs, that the OCP committee will review other OCPs, and that the OCP Committee will submit a set of principles for making such decisions. See resulting Principles here.