I'm accepted! What happens now?
CONGRATULATIONS! We're excited that you're coming to San Francisco!
The two most important things for you to do right away are:
- Forms: Complete all the forms that were sent to you in your acceptance email and hand them in to Barb Pointer in Kerrwood Hall.
- Handbook: Download and read the WSF Student Handbook. This will answer a lot of your questions and prepare you for your time in San Francisco.
For all other questions, please refer to the information below, to our frequently asked questions page and/or get in touch with us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (415) 931-2460.
At least one month prior to your arrival you will receive a detailed email confirming your arrival date, time, and other logistics. The details that stay the same from semester to semester are as follows:
Please plan to arrive at Clunie House for 1:00PM. If you arrive earlier and need to drop off your baggage, before going to explore your new neighborhood before your 1:00PM entry, this is permissible. If you need to arrive later than 1:00PM please arrange this with staff ahead of time.
Prior to move-in day, the RA will draw up a room lottery which will determine the order in which students will select their rooms. Students may choose their roommate(s) ahead of time or on the day. To get an idea of what the rooms are like in the Urban House, please see the pictures of Clunie House or the Clunie House layout for floor plans.
What to Bring
Furnishing your room:
Each room is equipped with a bed, desk, and dresser drawers for each student. Some rooms require students to share a closet. You are responsible for bringing your own bedding and any items you would like to decorate your room.
Closet and dresser space is very limited; bring only clothes and other items that you know you will need. Keep in mind that San Francisco is much cooler than other parts of “sunny California.” A raincoat and umbrella are great items to pack. Also pack the appropriate professional clothing for the type of work environment you expect at your internship.
Getting to San Francisco
Arriving at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) or Oakland International Airport (OAK)?
- BART and Bus: Take the BART from SFO/OAK to Powell Street Station. Then take the 21-Hayes Bus in the direction of the Golden Gate Park. Get off at Hayes and Baker. Walk one block west, and turn left onto Lyon( walking towards the park).
- Super Shuttle: You can book in advance on their website.
- Uber, Lyft, or a variety of SF Taxi Companies
The address to put into Google Maps is 301 Lyon Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
If you plan to arrive the night before, we recommend the following hotels, all of which are less than a mile or so from the house. We encourage you to make reservations well in advance:
- Metro Hotel (319 Divisadero): (415) 861-5364
- Stanyan Park Hotel (750 Stanyan at Waller): (415) 751-1000
- Geary Parkway Motel (4750 Geary Boulevard): (415) 752-4406
Further Information about San Francisco
SF Gate: News and information for the San Francisco Bay Area, presented by the San Francisco Chronicle.
San Francisco Travel: The official visitor’s guide to San Francisco.
Citysearch: A comprehensive guide to restaurants, hotels, shops, events and attractions in San Francisco.
511.org: A guide to travel in the Bay Area. Use the Trip Planner tool to find out how to get from one place to another.