- Make certain you are enrolled in courses meeting Westmont's entry requirements:
English 4 years Science 3 years (two years of laboratory science) Mathematics
3 years (including at least Algebra II)
*Algebra I taken in the 8th grade is acceptable
Foreign Language 2 years of the same language (3 years recommended) Social Science years (history, government, sociology, political science, economics, psychology, civilization, geography)
- Understand your school's academic requirements for graduation. Entrance to many colleges is competitive; you may need more than this minimum. Be prepared for this. Plan a four-year program with care!
- Obtain a Social Security number. All applications and financial aid forms will require this number. Your name as it appears on this card will be the name you must use on all forms.
- Take Honors, AP, or IB classes when available. Challenge yourself!
- Keep up with your studies. Your grades from your freshman year through the first term of your senior year are extremely important.
- Build on the basic skills of reading, writing, thinking, listening, speaking, studying, and managing your time.
- Take part in extracurricular or service activities that relate to your interests. Consistency is better than quantity.
- Get a summer job or internship
How do you go about selecting the right college? Here are some questions that may help with this important decision.