Building Progress, Dec. 12, 2008

All photos by Brad Elliott
  • Crews begin moving earth above Porter Theatre for the new Adams Center for the Visual Arts
  • A bulldozer clears a path for the new campus road near the track
  • The new campus road will travel behind Carr Field and around the new Winter Hall
  • The track and field/soccer complex includes 400 fixed bleacher seats facing south toward a new synthetic, all-weather, 400-meter surface
  • A worker keeps a hose on the remains of Bauder Hall to keep the dust down
  • The main house of Bauder Hall, which was used as a residence hall for men, burned during the 1964 Coyote Fire
  • Bauder Hall, which housed the psychology department, was the carriage house for an estate the college purchased in the 1940s
  • Winter Hall for Science and Math will be tucked between the Murchison Gym complex and Whittier Science
  • Crews protect the trees below Reynolds Gallery, while creating a new lower entrance road to campus
  • Crews remove the foundation of the physics building, which dated back to the Dwight Murphy estate Westmont acquired in 1945
  • The new campus road cuts through the southwest corner of the Page parking lot and down the barranca toward Carr Field
  • Crews demolish and remove the shell of Bauder Hall which was gutted in the Tea Fire
  • A bulldozer crushes the wood frame of Bauder Hall, once noted for its Tudor style and whimsical weather vane
  • Little remains of the physics building, which was once used as a garage for the Murphy family
More Photos

Building Progress Photo Archive