Current Residents/Openings

Fall-To-Spring housing for residents

Most residents in college housing stay in their same room or apartment without any changes at mid-year, but there will be changes for some. We need every resident to definitively declare whether they will stay in their room, or vacate.

Fall-To-Spring Housing Declaration

All campus and Ocean View residents are required to submit their Spring housing declaration through the online form by November 1. Residents must declare to STAY, VACATE, or POSSIBLY VACATE

A hoped-for change may be indicated on the declaration (see "REFER TO MY ONLINE REQUEST"), and this requires submission of one of the housing request forms (see below). Another variation which includes consideration of a housing request is when a current resident will declare "STAY," and that staying resident is included in an online housing request which invites a particular student to fill an opening in the room. Current residents will remain in their Fall housing assignments unless a change to a different location is approved by the Housing Office. All requests must be submitted online by the November 1 deadline.

  1. STAY in same room
  2. VACATE my room (indicate reason):
    1. I will be graduating in December.
    2. I have been accepted/confirmed to study away-abroad for spring semester, and will not be attending classes on campus in the spring.
    3. I will be withdrawing from Westmont at the end of fall semester.
  3. POSSIBLY VACATE my room (indicate reason):
    1. I plan to study away-abroad for spring semester through the Off-Campus Programs Office, BUT I need retain my current (fall) housing until this is completely confirmed.
    2. I intend to request a housing change, BUT I understand I must retain my current (fall) housing as a back-up in the event I am not re-assigned elsewhere for spring. REFER TO MY ONLINE REQUEST. See bottom of page.

Declarations are required because Housing must confirm placements and openings in order to house other students and to allow for new roommate placements.

When Fall residents plan to vacate in December, Housing and Residence Life will fill openings in response to stated preferences by students and to meet housing needs.

Residents with an opening in their room

When an opening exists, or will exist when a roommate vacates at the end of Fall semester, the remaining resident(s) should consider the following:

  • Openings are best filled by mutual request with another current Westmont student.*
  • In the absence of a mutual request to fill an opening, residents should expect that Housing and Residence Life will fill the opening with a student who is returning from away-abroad, s student who has requested a room change, a transfer student, or a re-applicant.
  • Requests to "fill an opening" must be submitted by the November 1 deadline with the request form (#1) below, and it must be mutual.

*A current student who wishes to mutually request a roommate who is not currently enrolled, but who may be in the process of transferring or re-applying to Westmont, should contact Housing as far in advance as possible. Incoming students will be unable to access the online group forms. Several things need to be aligned in order to consider groupings with incoming students.

We urge current residents with an opening to submit a mutual-request with another resident in college housing, or with a student who is returning from away-abroad using request form (#1) below. We usually have very full housing for the Spring semester, so residents with an opening should not assume the opening will remain un-filled.

Who has priority for completely-open rooms at mid-year?

Students who are returning from away-abroad have priority for completely-open rooms at the end of the Fall semester. Fall semester residents should not assume they can "claim" another room in campus housing other than the one they are occupying during Fall semester. Completely-open rooms are typically not available to current residents since away-abroad students are assigned to those rooms, according to class standing.

How and when are roommate or change requests to be submitted?
  • Students in college housing have until November 1, 2017 to complete a Spring housing request with either online form below.
  • Away-abroad students also have until November 1, 2017 to submit one of the two online forms.
How do the online forms work?

The two online forms below can be used as group requests, but only the "Request for Specific Location" can be used as an individual-type of request. A request with a grouping has a required mutual-agreement feature that must be completed by the deadline in order to be considered.

  1. The student who originates an online request has the most control. The originator sets the location preference(s) and Adds/Removes names for the grouping.
  2. If you are added to a grouping, your control is limited to either Accepting or Declining participation in the request, and only those in the group have the ability to view (and interact) with the request.
  3. A request form needs to be completed. When a group is created, or a change to the request occurs by someone in the grouping, the program sends an email alert to everyone that is in the group--as long as the Submit button is selected on the form after anyone is added or a location change is made. Some students fail to select the Submit button, and this results in absolutely no electronic alert to others on the form. These alerts are intended to facilitate communication, but ultimately it is students' responsibility to communicate clearly with each other and also to Housing through these forms.

IMPORTANT: If you have been included in someone's request (even if you have NOT even Accepted it), you will NOT be able to create your own request or be added to a different group request of that type by other friends. You would first need to extricate yourself by Declining participation in the request that is holding you. The same is true if you login to a request and then leave it without Deleting yourself. That login will actually be the start of a request by you, and it will prevent you from participating in another grouping until you extricate yourself from it.

DELAY: You may need to allow one day (after you delete your name from a grouping) before you can participate in another grouping.

It is possible to submit both types of request, and away-abroad students often consider doing so. If this is done, the "Request to Fill Opening with a Resident Who Will Stay in that Same Room" has highest priority. If it cannot be achieved, the other type of request will be referred to during the placement process.

  1. Request To Fill Opening with a Resident Who Will Stay in that Same Room . This group-only type of request allows a student to "fill an opening" with a current Fall resident in college housing so that they can live there together for the Spring semester. The resident who is trying to fill an opening in his/her room must remain in that room for the purposes of this type of request, since that is where the opening exists. This type of request has the highest priority of all, even over class standing considerations. This is an "in-fill type of request" and is referred to as a "slam dunk" when all the parts align for a placement. Everyone who is to be part of that room grouping should be listed on the request. In order to succeed, each participant in the group request must agree to the group request by ACCEPTING it before the deadline AND the opening in the room must be confirmed by Housing by the time placements are made in November. If expected openings do not materialize in time for placements in mid-November, such requests will be bypassed. No student may be in more than one request of this type.
  2. Request for Specific Location This is for an individual OR a mutually-agreeing group to request a specific residence hall location, and even a particular suite, section or apartment. This form also allows "Other Preferences" beyond the specific and primary location. Again, no student may be in more than one request of this type. For example, if Van Kampen is the primary request, and a few other locations would also be favorable, the request could look like this example:
  • Dorm: VK
  • Suite/Section/Apartment: (optional, such as suite B)
  • Other Preferences: VK anywhere; AR, OV (aka LCOV)

This is primarily a request for VK, particularly suite "B" if possible. Armington is the #2 request, Ocean View is the #3 request. There are a limited number of characters in this field, so you may need to abbreviate. This is an example of how you might supplement a specific, primary request with other location preferences in the event we cannot grant the primary request.

Note: No student may be in more than one request of this type.

Open rooms: Current campus residents should not expect to be approved to move to a completely-open since students who are returning from away-abroad have priority for completely-open rooms. However, if a grouping includes an away-abroad student, we will use the class standing of the away-abroad student to determine how requests are prioritized. If away-abroad students have less than senior standing, the chances are slimmer for getting a group into one of the few open rooms at mid-year.