First-Year Students

Westmont operates under a Conditional Use Permit (C.U.P.) with the county of Santa Barbara. The C.U.P. prohibits us from issuing any type of permit to first-year students, except for disability or approved off-campus commuting.

What about first-years who need transportation for medical reasons, or to commute daily from home?

The C.U.P. states that a first-year student is only eligible for a parking permit if he or she is disabled, or he/she has been approved to reside off-campus by Housing and is commuting from home. Since the Housing Office is not qualified to make medical evaluations, disability must be determined and verified by the campus doctor (Dr. David Hernandez) or the Director of Disability Services (Sheri Noble). Students with transportation needs may contact the Campus Health Center (x6164) to inquire about eligibility for a medical permit, or other transportation options which may be available through the Campus Health Center. It is extraordinarily rare for first-years to be allowed to reside as off-campus commuters, but if this is approved by the Housing Office such a first-year would be eligible to obtain a permit from Housing.

May a friend or relative bring a car to campus for a first-year student?

If the vehicle will be operated by a first-year student on the campus or in the Montecito area, it would be a violation by that first-year student.

May an upper-class student obtain a permit for a first-year student?

No. This would be a direct violation of our C.U.P. with the county of Santa Barbara.