Eligibility & process explained

Eligibility for parking permit privileges is determined by the Housing & Parking Office.

First-year students are not eligible for permit privileges (with few exceptions, see First-year students) because Santa Barbara County prohibits Westmont from issuing permits to first-years, or for any vehicle which is owned by or affiliated with a first-year student. First-year status is determined by units on record AND by cohort year. Cohort year indicates the first year attending college full-time, after graduation from high school.

Students are prohibited from using their own eligibility to request permits on behalf of other students, or other students' vehicles. Also, any student who is serving a suspension for multiple traffic or permit violations is ineligible until the suspension is cleared.

Eligibility is primarily based on class standing, but alternate criteria may be used at the discretion of the Housing & Parking Office. We will consider the number of full-time semesters completed in college after one has graduated from high school (i.e. 4 full-time, already-completed semesters for Fall permits; 5 full-time, already-completed semesters for Spring permits). College coursework taken prior to high school graduation is not considered for the alternate criteria, but it may be helpful as part of the unit total. If students are not eligible based upon units, they may contact the Housing & Parking Office and request consideration by this alternate criteria.

Regular permits

Students must have 59 or more units on record (i.e. credited prior to the request for a Fall semester permit) to be eligible to request a Regular permit, and 72 or more units on record (for requests from December to May) to request a Regular permit for the Spring semester. Juniors and seniors may request permits for the Fall ONLY, Spring ONLY, or both Fall AND Spring semesters. We have been able to offer Regular permits to all juniors and seniors who request them.

Returning and new students (transfers, consortium visitors) who do not have the requisite units on record, but have attended college for the requisite number of semesters, may contact the Housing & Parking Office for assistance.. Juniors and seniors are prohibited from using their eligibility to obtain permits for first-years, sophomores, or for any student who is serving a suspension for parking permit priivileges.

Restricted permits

We seek to offer some permits to students who have not yet reached junior standing. Such students will need 26-58 units on record in order to access the request program. But while it is possible to access the request program with these requisite units, a RESTRICTED permit is not offered to any student who is considered a "first-year." We use cohort year to determine if a student is considered a "first-year."

Restricted permits and few in number (the number issued in recent semesters has been from 20-70). The number of requests for Restricted permits typically exceeds the number of permits available.

Eligible students may "Request a Permit" at this parking site (beginning in June), but we will not use a "first-come, first-served" approach for processing requests for Restricted permits. Therefore, there will not be a waitlist in the general sense. We will use this two-step approach:

  1. All requests for Restricted permits must include an appeal as part of the online request process. Appeals will be reviewed in July and August.
  2. We may use a random process for equallyqualifying appeals. The earliest we would grant Restricted permits will be in July.

All requests for Restricted permits will initially fail in the online process because we allocate zero (0) Restricted permits at the outset. The screen message will indicate the request is "unsuccessful." We will notify by email only after appeals are reviewed and we grant a permit.

If a permit is granted, it will likely be restricted by parking location during business hours on weekdays. We will require vehicles with Restricted permits to be parked in a less-used parking area on lower campus from 7:30am-4:00pm, Monday-Friday. Transfer students should contact the Housing & Parking Office in June to request assistance with eligibility, since they may not have the requisite number of units on record to be eligible during the online process.

Temporary permits

Any upper class student (i.e. sophomore, junior, or senior) may request a temporary permit from the Housing & Parking Office, but medically-related requests are not handled by the Housing Office. A student with a medical need should contact the Campus Health Center to meet with the doctor. The Campus Health Center may have some transportation options available, and can issue temporary parking permits for students with their own vehicles. A student with a disability may contact the Office of Disability Services (ODS). For long-term medical needs, the campus doctor and the Director of ODS may authorize issuance of a Regular or Restricted permit from the Housing Office.