Provost Home

Contact Information

Westmont College
955 La Paz Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93108

Office: (805) 565-6007
Fax: (805) 565-7006

Information for Part-Time Faculty

The following is intended to help part time faculty who are just getting started. Resources and general information will direct you around campus and to various individuals who will be helpful to you. Above all, your department chair should serve as a starting place for questions as they are your direct supervisor. The Provost's Office will also be glad to help (phone 565-6007).

Required Notices and Important Information from Human Resource

(health insurance, paid sick leave, worker’s comp., retirement, etc.)

Voskuyl Library

Other Human Resources Information

(direct deposit, paycheck summaries, W-2, etc.)

Bookstore/Textbook Adoptions Keys
Syllabus guidelines and Teaching resources Westmont ID card
Records/Registrar’s Office Information (course lists, academic policies, grades, etc.) Parking
Learning management system (LMS) Reprographics
Course Evaluations  

Required Notices and Important Information from Human Resources

1.) Health Insurance Information:

Please review the California Health Insurance Marketplace: This notice provides some basic information about the Marketplace and employment-based health coverage. You will be notified by HR if you are eligible for benefits or become eligible for benefits.

2.) Paid Sick Leave:

As part-time faculty you are entitled to the minimum requirements for paid sick leave under state law effective July 1, 2015 which provides that part time faculty:

  • will be advanced 3 days (24 hours) of paid sick leave and may request and use up to 3 days or 24 hours of paid sick leave per year pursuant to the minimum stated stated in Labor Code §245 et seq. with no other employer policy providing additional or different terms for accrual and use of paid sick leave;
  • may take sick time for themselves or a family member for the diagnosis, care or treatment of an existing health condition or preventive care, or specified purposes for an employee who is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.
  • may not be terminated or retaliated against for using or requesting the use of paid sick leave; and
  • have the right to file a complaint against an employer who retaliates or discriminates against an employee for:
      • requesting or using accrued sick days;
      • attempting to exercise the right to use accrued paid sick days;
      • filing a complaint or alleging a violation of Article 1.5 section 245 et seq. of the California Labor Code;
      • cooperating in an investigation or prosecution of an alleged violation of this Article or opposing any policy or practice or act that is prohibited by Article 1.5 section 245 et seq. of the California Labor Code.

The following applies to part time faculty:

  • Westmont provides no less than 24 hours (or 3 days) of paid sick leave at the beginning of each 12-month period.

Sick leave can be taken and reported after 90 days of employment. To report paid sick leave taken, please email the amount of time taken to your department chair. Sick leave balances are available under the Employee section of Webadvisor, under “Leave Plan Summary.”

3.) Worker’s Compensation

How to Report an Injury or Illness

Worker’s Comp Packet        

Our worker’s compensation insurance information is below:

Insurance Carrier



1111 Ashworth Road, West Des Moines, IA 50265-3538

Telephone Number:


WCAB Local Information & Office:

6755 Hollister Avenue #100, Goleta, CA 93117

Telephone Number:

(805) 968-4158

Labor Code Section 2810.5(b) requires that the employer notify you in writing of any changes to the information set forth in this Notice within seven calendar days after the time of the changes, unless one of the following applies: (a) All changes are reflected on a timely wage statement furnished in accordance with Labor Code Section 226; (b) Notice of all changes is provided in another writing required by law within seven days of the changes.

4.) California's Child Abuse And Neglect Reporting Act (Also found on WebAdvisor)

By state law and college policy, all faculty and staff are now "mandated reporters" of suspected child abuse and neglect. This means that each of us must report to county officials any alleged or suspected abuse and/or neglect of children under 18 occurring on campus, in college programs, or at college events. A summary of our responsibilities and reporting options has been provided to you already and can be accessed on the College Counsel website. All temporary staff must read and sign off (via e-signature below) on the required statement that follows:

California's Child Abuse And Neglect Reporting Act


Definitions (P.C. 11165):The following situations are reportable conditions: 1) Physical abuse, 2) Sexual abuse, 3) Child exploitation, child pornography and child prostitution, 4) Severe or general neglect, 5) Extreme corporal punishment resulting in injury, 6) Willful cruelty or unjustifiable punishment, 7) Abuse or neglect in out-of-home care.

Who Must Report (P.C. 11165.7): Included among the categories of professionals who must report are all faculty or staff whose duties bring them into contact with students under the age of 18.

When to Report (P.C. 11166): A telephone report must be made immediately when the reporter observes a child in his/her professional capacity or within the scope of his/her employment and has knowledge of, or has reasonable suspicion that the child has been abused. A written report, on a standard form, must be sent within 36 hours after the telephone report has been made.

To Whom Do You Report (11165.9): You have a choice of reporting to the Police or Sheriff's Department or the Probation Department or Child Welfare Agency. Each County has preferred reporting procedures. Commercial film or photographic processors report only to law enforcement. We also encourage you to report to an appropriate college official.

Anonymous Reporting (P.C. 11167): Mandated reporters are required to give their names. Non-mandated reporters may report anonymously. Child protective agencies are required to keep the mandated reporter's name confidential, unless a court orders the information disclosed.

Immunity (P.C. Section 11172): Any legally mandated reporter has immunity when making a report. In the event a civil suit is filed against the reporter, reimbursement for fees incurred in the suit will occur up to $50,000. No individual can be dismissed, disciplined or harassed for making a report of suspected child abuse.

Penalty for Failure to Report (11166.01): Legally mandated reporters can be criminally liable for failing to report suspected abuse. The penalty for this misdemeanor is up to six months in county jail, a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or both. Mandated reporters who willfully fail to report or impede reporting of abuse or neglect resulting in death or great bodily injury shall be punished by up to one year in county jail, a fine of not more than $5,000.00 or both. Mandated reporters can also be civilly liable for failure to report.

Notification Regarding Abuse: You are not legally required to notify the parents that you are making a report; however, it is often beneficial to let the parents know you are reporting for benefit of a future relationship.

4.) Retirement

All employees are immediately eligible to contribute to Westmont's 403b plan on a voluntary basis. Employees who meet the requirements may also be eligible for matching contributions. For information about the retirement plan, including match eligibility and how to enroll, click here:


Other Human Resources Information

For instructions and forms for direct deposit, see: Direct Deposit Info

For paycheck summaries and to give your consent to an electronic W-2, log into WebAdvisor as an “Employee” using your email login and password. You also need to review and agree to 2 items: the Conflict of Interest Statement and information regarding California's Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting Act.

The college has an umbrella travel insurance policy for all college business-related travel.  See Cigna Info. for more information.


Bookstore/ Textbook Adoptions

Leslie Smith ( is our Textbook Manager. She will need to know which textbooks, etc. you will be requiring.  Your department chair or administrative assistant will help you submit your textbook adoption requests using the Westmont Textbook Adoption website.  Optimally, textbook adoptions should be made by mid-April for the fall semester and mid-October for the spring semester. Your departmental assistant will be able to help you with desk copy information.

Some faculty request materials to be bound from various periodicals into a “course pack” or “reader”. You may contact the textbook manager for information regarding assembling a reader. The Westmont Copyright and Resource guide is available online at:

In general, we request that your packet be submitted six weeks before classes begin to allow enough time to clear copyright permissions and produce the reader. The bookstore will need the articles you want copied along with the signed copyright release.


Syllabus guidelines and Teaching resources

Please follow Westmont’s guidelines in preparing your course syllabus. They can be found here:

Once you have completed your syllabus, please send an electronic copy to your department assistant. These are up-loaded every term to our College Syllabus Archive. Your department assistant can also help in getting paper copies printed to hand out to your students. Again, please give adequate notice of your needs.

We also have several resources online that give a brief introduction to our GE curriculum and support teaching and learning.  Go to: and


Records/Registrar’s Office Information

Questions about registration can be answered by the staff in the Records Office. The main number is 565-6060.

Please review Westmont’s Academic Policies and Procedures which are posted on the web:

Our plagiarism policy can be found here:

You will access your class lists and post grades through Westmont’s WebAdvisor.

Log in as “Faculty” with your Westmont username and password (same as your email). Print off a copy of your class list to assure that students showing up for class are properly enrolled. Students may choose to add or drop your course and will be bringing you forms to sign. This can also be done using WebAdvisor.  Finally, look out for the email reminders and instructions from the Records office about posting mid-term and final grades.


Learning management system (LMS)

To post course resources, give assignments, track grades, foster collaboration, etc., many faculty members utilize our campus-wide LMS, Canvas. All courses each semester will be automatically set-up on Canvas and you should have received an email with a link to your page.  If you need assistance, Doug Conrad ( is available and can even schedule you for a one-on-one tutorial.  Canvas also offers extensive costumer support, which you can access via the “Help” button on the bottom left of your Canvas Dashboard.


Course Evaluations

Around mid-semester, all faculty will receive a packet from the Provost office which will explain our system of course evaluation and give you a timeline for the process. Currently, we are using an instrument created by The IDEA Center. With the exception of private lessons, tutorials and classes with fewer than 5 students, all courses by teaching faculty are assessed.

Voskuyl Library

Voskuyl Library provides you and your studentsaplaceto engage ideas,resourcesfor research, andservicesto assist with research and information literacy. You can find general information about the Library and services on the Library website .

Each academic department is assigned a specific librarian as their liaison to help with any Library or research needs. For a list of liaisons and other relevant Library information see the Information for Faculty page.

Library resources and services include:
  • Over 250,000 items available for check out (a Westmont I.D. card is required; see below)
  • Access to thousands of ebooks, online journals, and online resources
  • Robust Inter-library Loan (borrowing books and articles from other libraries)
  • Course reserves
  • A walk-up Research Help Desk (staffed weekday afternoons and evenings)
  • Information literacy instruction sessions (provided in class or in the Library)
  • Small group or one-on-one research consultations with students

Come visit. Or contact your liaison or the Library Director Mary Logue ( for details about Library resources and services and to discuss how your liaison can assist you.



You can log on to email here (  You will have a Westmont College email address assigned to you by our IT Department. Please use this email address to contact your students. It should also be listed on your class syllabus. Your department administrative assistant can give you your user name. First you will need to create a password. Go to Select "Create a Password". Fill in your last name, skip the birthdate, and enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number. Enter the username that has been assigned to you, and your choice of password, and confirm your password. Be sure to note the rules for construction of a secure password. If you have difficulty with this form, contact Jeff Aquilon ( in Information Technology.



Most of our buildings and classrooms are opened by Westmont Security each morning. Please check with your department’s administrative assistant to see if you will need a key to your classroom.


Westmont ID card

A Westmont ID card can be issued to you by the I.T. Department (1st floor of Voskuyl library, VL102) but they will need to take your photo. Please email Jeff Aquilon ( to determine a time when this can be accomplished that best fits with your schedule on campus.



Westmont has a very strict conditional use permit from SB County which limits the number of cars on campus. As a faculty member, you will be able to register a car and park with no cost around campus. However, it is important that you get your parking permit immediately or you risk getting a parking ticket. Please go to the Physical Plant Office (lower perimeter road, just before the bridge) to register your car and have them put a sticker on your windshield.


Your Department Assistant can help you to copy your class syllabus, exams or hand-outs for your classes. There are copiers in many of the Department Offices and we also have a separate printing office. Please be sure to give adequate notice for help in this area.