College Profile Diversity
Diversity is Biblical: We believe that the call to be a diverse community is rooted in scripture and evident in God's creation.
"There was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the lamb." - Revelation 7:9
"God saw all that he had made and it was very good." - Genesis 1:1-31
Diversity is Communal: We believe that diversity can only be expressed in community where we are sharing our distinct gifts, experiences and perspectives.
"There are different kinds of gifts...The body is a unit, though it is made of many parts...if one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it..." - 1 Cor. 12:4-31
Diversity is Practical: We believe that we most effectively contribute to and benefit from a globalized society by learning skills that allow us to work, worship and live well and wisely in our world.
"A body is made up of many parts, and each of them has its own use. That's how it is with us. There are many of us, but we each are part of the body of Christ, as well as part of one another." - Romans 12:4-5
The charge to the Campus Diversity Committee is to:
- Establish links with others that are working to address diversity-related issues at Westmont - for example, Trustee Diversity Committee, Executive Team, Human Resources, Residential Life, Intercultural Programs, Diversity Recruitment Specialists, Off Campus Programs.
- Seek to build community-wide awareness and ownership of diversity-related issues and of appropriate ways to address them.
- Summarize the various challenges and opportunities related to diversity that currently face the College.
- Enlist additional faculty, administrators and staff to work with the Committee on special initiatives.
- Recommend priorities and propose implementation plans to the President’s Executive Team.
- Make annual reports on the Committee’s work to the Faculty, the Executive Team, and the Trustee Diversity Committee.
See diversity in action at Westmont through Intercultural Programs.