Westmont Magazine Connecting to a Career
Parents who worry about what kind of job their student can get after graduation will appreciate a new Westmont service.
Alums who are concerned about the volatility of the workplace will also welcome the news.
Westmont’s career and life planning office has joined with the alumni and parent relations office to expand the college’s career services. The newly established Westmont Career Connection creates a network where students, alumni, parents and friends of the college can contact each other about jobs and professional opportunities.
The service is easy to use. Both prospective employers and job-seekers simply log on to Westmont’s Web site and fill out an on-line form in a password-protected database.
Those with jobs or expertise to share can provide information about their city or town, their profession, and the assistance they can offer. For example, they may be willing to hire an intern or show a student around their area. Students and alums can then look for contacts in the career field or geographic location of their choice.
Are you willing to help graduating seniors who are seeking work or Westmont alums making a career shift? If so, please go to www.westmont.edu, select alumni or parents, and click on Westmont Career Connections. Enter your information, and you are ready to help others explore careers and job leads.
Some specific ways you can serve as a resource include:
• Be a professional network contact by entering your information in our Westmont Career Connections database
• Answer questions about your career over the phone
• Answer questions about your career in a panel discussion on campus
• Represent your company at the Westmont College Job Expo
• Recruit on campus for jobs or internships
• Speak about your career in a class or similar setting
• Help students prepare resumes
• Show a student or graduate around your home town
• Host a summer intern in your home
• Have an intern at your company
• Post a job opening on JobDirect, Westmont’s free Internet job-listing site.