Disability Services Housing Accommodations
Background: Reasonable and appropriate accommodations depend upon the disability, the housing environment, and the steps necessary to create equal access for one's living situation. Requested accommodations need not be granted if it is deemed unreasonable, if alternative accommodations are available, and/or if the student has already received desired placement through normal housing assignment processes.
- Plan well in advance of housing deadlines. We cannot guarantee any accommodations if the deadline has passed and the rooms are filled.
- If an accommodation is granted, housing accommodations occur for one school year and must be requested annually via contact with the Office of Disability Services (ODS).
Single Rooms: Please be advised that single rooms are reserved for individuals with specific living needs and for whom living with a roommate is not viable. The housing accommodation process considers access for living purposes only and not for other aspects of the college experience, such as studying. There are many options on campus where a student can study in an environment suitable for one's situation. All other request mid-year should be made as soon as possible.
Double Rooms: There are some disabilities that can be accommodated with a double rather than a triple room. These are determined on a case-by-case basis and the impact of the disability must be related to this request.
Off-campus: Although rare, off-campus housing accommodations will be considered depending on the nature of the disability and how this housing accommodation provides the student equal access to his or her academic environment.
- Complete the Accommodation Registration process
- Complete the Student Housing Accommodation Request
- Return completed forms to ODS.
- Documentation: Besides the requested documentation related to your disability please ask your provider to complete the additional Provider Housing Request Addendum.
Once all information is returned and deemed complete, the review process will begin. Once review process is complete, student will set up an appointment with director. Be aware of the timing of your request as this may take up to ten school days prior to when a meeting can be scheduled.