Housing Office Check-In
Check-In is the required process (with residence hall staff) which residents must follow in order to occupy a room and obtain a room key from residence life staff. We have limited and scheduled check-in hours, and residence hall staff (RDs and RAs) need to be present for check-in.
Mayterm 2020 housing:
Sunday, May 3 - Saturday, June 6
Housing during the Mayterm period is only available to students who enroll for Mayterm or a travel Mayterm or Summer program, or for student athletes who officially participate in extended, intercollegiate athletics and have been approved by their coach and Housing to reside on campus for one or more weeks in May. ALL students who will be residing on campus during the Mayterm period are expected to check-in on the Sunday of graduation weekend. Residents in Mayterm housing who do not check-in on Sunday are responsible for arranging a later check-in appointment with the Mayterm RD.
LOCATION: On-campus housing during the Mayterm period will be in Page Hall, unless it is determined that a larger hall is needed. Any spring semester residents of that hall, who will be living in Mayterm housing, still need to officially check-out from their Spring room assignments and return their room key. They should be prepared to move to a different room. However, some residents may be able to stay in their same rooms. Coordination for residents in this situation is by the RD, NOT the Housing Office.
For Mayterm 2020, if Page is selected then the third floor of Page will be designated for women only and the second floor will be designated for men only, Check-in to Mayterm housing (to confirm Mayterm housing assignment and obtain key) is NOT through the the Page RD.
SCHEDULED CHECK-IN HOURS: The hours for check-in on Sunday of graduation weekend depend upon when the online application for housing during Mayterm has been submitted.
- EARLY CHECK-IN: Eligible Mayterm-attending students, and approved athletes for on-campus housing during May, must submit the online application by the last day of classes for spring semester in order to have early check-in privileges on Sunday morning from 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon.
- STANDARD CHECK-IN: Eligible Mayterm-attending students and athletes who submit the online application for on-campus housing during May after the last day of classes for the spring semester may NOT come to EARLY CHECK-IN, but will need to come from 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM.
- LATE CHECK-IN: Those who do not check-in during the morning or early afternoon times may check-in with the Mayterm RD from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
- EARLIEST CHECK-IN: We may offer a 9:00 AM–10:00 AM check-in for Mayterm housing applicants who form their own groups of 3 in advance. This is TBD.
- The Mayterm RD for 2020 is TBD, but maytermRD@westmont.edu is the designated email address for inquiries. Those who do not check-in for EARLY, STANDARD, OR LATE CHECK-IN on Sunday must contact the Mayterm RD to arrange a later check-in (i.e. when Mayterm residence hall staff are available). The cell phone for the Mayterm RD on-call is (805) 565-OCRD .
For more information and the online application to request on-campus housing during Mayterm, see Mayterm on Campus or May Housing for Athletes. Every student in on-campus housing during Mayterm must submit the online form, or check-in in person.
Summer housing at Ocean View 2020:
Sunday, May 3 - Saturday, August 15
Summer residents at the Ocean View Apartments (aka OV, with housing code LCOV: Local Commuter Ocean View) are expected to check-in on Sunday, May 3 (the day immediately following Spring graduation). Check-in hours are 2:00 PM– 3:00 PM or 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Summer residents who do not check-in during these scheduled times are responsible for arranging a later check-in appointment with Dan Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Ocean View. Since Dan Taylor has an incredibly busy schedule for Summer check-in immediately following Spring check-out, students should arrange non-standard check-ins by appointment well in advance.
- Check-in is scheduled after the residence halls have officially closed in order to allow adequate time for Spring semester residents at OV to check-out and vacate, and for any cleaning that might be possible after their departure. Students who will check-in to OV for the summer must wait until OV staff are available. Students are responsible for their own personal belongings during the transition.
For more information, and the online request for summer housing at OV, see Summer at Ocean View. All students are notified by email when the application for Ocean View is available.
Returning students may complete check-in with their residence hall staff on the weekend immediately preceding the first day of fall semester (August xx-xx). Be sure to return with your ID cards for the electronic door locks. Residence hall staff will be available for check-in:
- Saturday, August xx... 10:00 AM–2:00 PM or 7:00 PM–9:00 PM
- Sunday, August xx... 7:00 PM–11:00 PM
IMPORTANT: Incoming residents must complete check-in during one of the listed times. Moving into the room outside of these times could result in a $50 charge. ID cards must be obtained for the electronic door locks.
New students who arrive for Orientation on Thursday, August 22 will complete check-in with residence hall staff according to the schedule in the Orientation materials. Requests by new students to check-in earlier are not accepted.
Some student groups may be allowed to return to campus earlier than scheduled check-in dates, but these must be approved in advance by a sponsoring department. Such groups are allowed to return early to help the college prepare for the upcoming semester. This information is available at Special Housing>Early Fall Arrival and Fall Housing Assignments>Returning Students.
New students should plan to arrive and check-in with residence hall staff on Saturday, January X, from 12:00 noon–2:00 PM.
Other students who have not checked into their campus rooms yet (i.e. returnees from away-abroad during the fall semester, re-applicants to Westmont) complete check-in with residence hall staff on:
- Saturday, January X... 12:00 noon–2:00 PM or 7:00 PM–9:00 PM
- Sunday, January X... 7:00 PM–11:00 PM
Returning residents may return to their campus rooms on the weekend immediately preceding the first day of spring semester (January X-X). The residence halls re-open at 12:00noon on Saturday, and ID cards will be needed for the electronic door locks.
IMPORTANT: Incoming students must complete check-in during one of the listed times. Moving into your assigned room outside of these times could result in a $50 charge. ID cards must be obtained for the electronic door locks.
Some intercollegiate athletic groups may be allowed to return to campus prior to check-in weekend. However, these must be approved in advance with Housing. In order to reside on campus during the Christmas holiday or in early January, the student must be already checked-in to his or her spring housing assignment. New student athletes who have not been in campus housing during the fall semester are not provided housing until spring housing check-in (i.e. during the weekend immediately preceding the first day of classes--see above). See Special Housing>Christmas/Early January for more information.