Housing Sign-Ups for Next Year Types of Housing
Types and categories of housing
We have 5 types of housing, and there are some categorical differences among them.
- OFF-CAMPUS: There are different categories for off-campus living:
- Off-Campus Due to Special Circumstances is a type of "Local Commuter in SB (LCSB)." This is an individual request only. The circumstances must be verifiable. To see the list of potentially qualifying circumstances, see Off-Campus Commuting.
- Off-Campus by Lottery is also a type of "Local Commuter in SB (LCSB)." This can be requested by seniors only. This may be an individual or a group request (up to six students). There is no advantage or disadvantage to being in a group request. A random process is used to grant a limited number of lottery requests.
- Off-Campus at Ocean View is coded as "Local Commuter at OV (LCOV)." OV is for seniors and juniors only. Requests must have a Group of 3 or a Group of 4 to qualify. Due to expected demand, requests containing one or more juniors are less likely to succeed.
- The due date for all of these off-campus types is the same, and it is the earliest in the sequence.
- GLC: This is Global Leadership Center on the request application.
- GLC may only be requested by seniors and juniors. Due to high demand, requests containing one or more juniors are less likely to succeed.
- A double configuration or a flex-triple can be requested on the GLC form. You do NOT use the Triple form to request a flex-triple in the GLC. A flex-triple may be for one or both semesters. There needs to be 3 students for either the Fall or the Spring in order to qualify as a flex-triple. NOTE: there is a limit on how many flex-triples can be allowed.
- NO meal plan is assigned for GLC residents, as it is NOT required. This is the only campus residence hall which does not include the meal plan requirement. However, a meal plan is optional upon request. All requests for a meal plan must be requested in writing to the Housing Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). NOTE: typically about 1/3 of GLC residents request a meal plan.
- TRIPLES: These are named Triples excluding GLC on the request application. We exclude GLC in this type of request because the GLC form has it's own flex-triple option. This gives senior and senior/junior groupings the opportunity to request VK or flex-triples separately from a GLC triple, in the event they are unsuccessful in getting into the GLC as a triple. There are 2 kinds of triples:
- Designated triples in VK (for the entire academic year). A Group of 3 is required to request VK.
- Flex-Triples may be created and requested for the Fall and/OR Spring semester. All rooms in Armington, Clark, Emerson and Page may be requested as Flex-Triples. There needs to be 3 students for either the Fall or the Spring in order to qualify as a Flex-Triple. NOTE: there is a limit on how many Flex-Triples can be allowed.
- DOUBLES: All campus rooms are doubles, except for VK and first-year rooms in Page. Requests must have a Group of 2 to qualify.
- SOLO+: This is for individual requests, but the (+) indicates that it can be used for late groupings. However, it is best to use the Double or Triple request forms because they are considered earlier.
- Solo requestors who are not part of a qualifying request earlier in the process may indicate their location preferences with this form.
- Solo requestors are likely to be placed with other solo requestors, or in rooms where openings become available.
- Solo requests are NOT for requesting single-occupancy rooms, as we do not offer single-occupancy rooms (except for RAs or as accommodations from the Office of Disability Services).
Roommate Finder to help you
We encourage students who do not have a roommate in mind for next year to visit the Roommate Finder. When you visit the Roommate Finder, it will automatically add your name so that others may see you are looking for a roommate. You may remove your name easily if you merely want to view names on the Finder, but do not want to leave your name there. However, the point is to find each one another in order to form a grouping to reserve a room.