RA Selection Application Instructions
Spring RA Application Instructions
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, January 26, 2021, at 4 pm. Applications will not be able to be submitted after this time.
1. Know what you're signing up for. Read in detail the RA job description and agreement to know what you will be agreeing to if hired for the position.
2. Distribute reference forms. All you need to do is identify which faculty member (professor) or staff supervisor/advisor you would like to fill out a reference form for you, and send your current RA the form to initiate the peer references. Be sure to give them plenty of time to make the deadline (Wednesday, January 26 at 4 pm).
Be sure to give them plenty of time to make the deadline (Wednesday, February 3, 2021, at 4 pm).
- Faculty Reference (1) –– you'll select one faculty member
- Current RA Reference (1) –– this is automatically sent to your current RA
- Peer Reference (6) –– these are distributed by your current RA
** Special Note: If you are new to your section (i.e. was abroad in the Fall, or was a mid-semester/year housing move), then you will need to follow a different procedure when it comes to references. Please submit your Current RA Reference as assigned, but email the Director of Residence Life (Shannon Balram, email@example.com) immediately so that he can re-route the reference to a current or past RA. We want to ensure that the references submitted are given by people who know you and can adequately provide feedback on your candidacy.
3. Produce a resume which should include:
- Education (including off-campus experiences, lifeguard certification, etc.)
- Work experience
- Volunteer/church experience
- Extra-curricular activities / leadership experience
** Special Note: Please consider scheduling a time to go over your resume and interview skills with COVE. You can schedule a time directly with their office using Handshake, and a Career Counselor will give you one on one feedback to support you in the interview process.
4. Complete Essay Questions. You may find it easiest to type these into a word document and then copy and paste them into the online application.
5. Sign up for an interview. Each applicant will meet with two RDs for a formal interview lasting approximately 25 minutes. Interview locations will be determined no later than Saturday, January 29. You will receive instructions shortly about signing up for an interview time.
6. Choose a Group Process time to attend. Group Process is an interactive interview, where candidates can work in small groups to accomplish a variety of hands-on activities. Group Process is a mandatory part of the RA Application and is essential in completing your interview process. Due to COVID-19, we are adapting Group Process to ensure it can be done safely. Look for an email that will invite you to sign up for one of the Group Process times at a later date.
If you have any questions about the application or interview process, please email me, Director of Residence Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will be more than happy to help and assist you in the process.