Professor of Sociology
Phone: (805) 565-6783
Office Location: Deane Hall 204
only by appointment
Professor Jayawardene has taught at Westmont since 1988. Having previously held teaching and administrative positions at Indiana/Purdue Universities, Harvard University, University of Nigeria, St. Peter’s College (Sri Lanka), University of Sri Lanka and University of Surrey (England), Dr. Jayawardene has won numerous awards and grants including the Teacher of the Year Award at Westmont, grants from Oxford and Harvard, and the Pope Paul VI Award from the Vatican in Rome and Goethe Scholar in Germany. He pioneered Westmont’s Study Abroad Programs in Asia. He has served as President of the Cardinal Henry J. Newman Scholars Association, Rome, Founder/Vice President of Giovani Per il Terzo Mondo (Youth for the Third World Movement) in Rome, Italy, and Associate at Mother Teresa of Calcutta Community in London, Rosmini Institute of Charity in Surrey, England, Friends of the Third World in Indiana, USA, and Ladani Children Homes in Sri Lanka. He is a Founding Board Member and CFO of Children of Joy Inc. Santa Barbara.
Professor Jayawardene teaches:
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Sociology of Inequality and Global Development
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Problems
- Sociology of Service
- Sociology of Asian Religious Traditions
- Sociology, University of Surrey (England)
- International University for Social Studies. (Rome)
- Goethe Institute, Munich, (Germany)
- Pontifical Urban University, (Rome)
- National Seminary of Sri Lanka, (Sri Lanka)
- Youth Employment, Unemployment and Terrorism
- Cross-cultural Communication Studies
- Sociology of World Religions
- Inequality and Global Development
- Sociology of Education
Recent International Presentations & Publications:
- In Italian & Latin: Ritiro Contemplative /Contemplative Conference Director, Contemplative Pilgrimage of Lenten Churches of Rome. Rome. April 2014.
- In Italian & English : Diasporic Asian Labor Communities in Europe: Family Disruptions, Cultural Dislocation and Re-entry Misfits: Europe Migrants Assembly dialogue Facilitator, Florence, Italy. May 2014.
- In Sinhala & English: Commencement Speaker and Chief Guest, Saint-Pope John Paul II Institute of Higher Studies, Wennappuwa, Sri Lanka. June 2014
- Sinhala & English: Spirituality as a Language of the Heart: Approaches to Mindful Living: Comparative Reflections in Buddhist and Christian Practices. Keynote Address at Inter-Religious Seminar, June 2014. Sri Lanka.
- Rome, Italy. Visiting Scholar, Istituto di Carita, Via Di Portalatina, 2013-2014
- Sri Lanka, South Asia, Visiting Scholar, Pope John Paul II Institute of Higher Education, Wennappuwa, 2013-2014
- Challenges and Opportunities on the Western Seaboard of a Post-War Sri Lanka., Ladani Silver Jubilee Issue 2010. Weewo Publishers, Talwila, Marawila, Sri Lanka.
- Prospectus for Development Programs, Published by COJ, Chicago. 2012.