For many in their twenties, young adulthood is a time of growing awareness of their own identities and gifts, the real needs of the world, and the ways they might be called to serve God’s kingdom. But this is also a time of life when people are less likely to participate in a church community. That's a loss to young adults, but it's also a loss to congregations, who miss the chance to be challenged and refreshed by the experiences of young adulthood.
Westmont's Young Adult Leadership Lab (YALL) brings together young adults (ages 23-29) and California churches to explore their vocations together. In a multi-year learning community, we partner with congregations and twentysomthings to explore new modes of gathering and listening, to innovatively follow the prompting of the Spirit, and to reflect on how we're being shaped as Christ's disciples.
We're currently assembling our first learning community which will begin in May 2023. We're currently accepting applications from congregations in California. Applications are due on Friday, March 10. If you're interested in applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 23, 2023
Please join us at Westmont on January 23 for A Conversation on Young Adults and the Church. We’ll hear from Steve Argue, author of Young Adult Ministry Now and a specialist in emerging adulthood. We’ll also hear from young adults themselves as they reflect on their stories of faith and lives in the church. We'll gather at 9:30 am and conclude by 1:30 pm. Thanks to the generosity of Lilly Endowment Inc. travel stipends are available for attendees. Please email email@example.com to inquire about travel support by Wednesday, January 18.
YALL in Practice
Learn in Community
- Listen to the voices of young adults as they reflect on their stories of faith and lives in the church.
- Enhance your congregational understanding of the spiritual and social lives of young adults.
Experiment with New Ministry Ideas
- Explore your congregational context as you consider new opportunities for ministry with young adults.
- Design, test, and refine innovative ministries with young adults.
- Receive funding for your ministries.
Reflect and Refine your Work
- Share your learnings and insights with the YALL community and your congregation.
- Celebrate progess and keep experimenting.
Thanks to the generosity of Lilly Endowment Inc., participating congregations are invited to apply for funding for up to $30,000 to design and launch innovative ministries in parternship with young adults.
Key Program Information
Our 2023-2025 Young Adult Leadership Lab learning community will launch in spring 2023 with our first annual gathering, to be held at Westmont College May 19-22, 2023. Participating congregations are asked to:
- Select a team of five church members (including at least one pastor and one lay leader, and two to three young adults ages 23-29) to participate in the learning community gatherings and lead the ongoing work of YALL in their congregations. We understand that team members may need to change over the course of the cohort.
- Participate in the Young Adult Leadership Lab launch in May 2023.
- Attend one overnight retreat at Westmont College in 2024 and 2025. Retreat dates will be selected in consultation with participating church teams.
- Participate in approximately two online learning community gatherings per year.
- Maintain regular communication with the Westmont Young Adult Leadership Lab facilitators.
- Share insights, learnings, and plans with the YALL learning community and your congregation.
The May 2023 gathering will feature interactive opportunities for church teams to learn more about the social and spiritual lives of young adults through activities that highlight the voices of young adults. There will also be ample opportunities for fellowship as we explore the Santa Barbara area together.
Thanks to the generous support of Lilly Endowment Inc., all Young Adult Leadership Lab activities are offered free of charge to participating church teams, including travel costs to and from Santa Barbara for our annual gatherings.
Christian churches in California are eligible to participate in the Young Adult Leadership Lab.
We're assemblying our first learning community which will begin in May 2023. We're currently accepting applications from congregations in California. Applications are due on Friday, March 10. If you're interested in applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Director, Westmont Young Adult Leadership Lab
Assistant Director, Westmont Young Adult Leadership Lab
The Young Adult Leadership Lab is one of four programs at Westmont that help churches and individuals explore God’s call. If you work with high school youth, we invite you to learn more about Trailhead, a summer experience that invites young people to slow down and see how their lives might participate in God’s work. If you’re a pastor, please consider Frontiers, a program that supports ministry professionals through seasons of visioning and transition. Thriving Communities gathers churches to explore how we can see and do the work God calls us to on California's Central Coast.