Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some Frequently Asked Questions. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us at 805-565-6135 or 805-565-6186. We are located in the Voskuyl Library, 310A, 311.

What documentation is required to receive disability services?
Documentation must be current and comprehensive. There are established guidelines for documenting disabling conditions. Please refer to the Office of Disability Services (ODS) website or call us with further questions.

Please note that eligibility guidelines and accommodations differ from your high school and may differ from other colleges you have attended. An Individualized Education Plan or 504 plan alone is not sufficient documentation.

I have been diagnosed with a disorder/condition. Will I automatically be provided accommodations?
A diagnosis alone does not qualify you for accommodations. You must document the existence of an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, the current impact of this condition and how it affects your ability to function in the academic setting as well as the rationale and objective basis for the requested accommodations.

Does ODS diagnose disabilities?
No. A list of community resources is available upon request. Students are responsible for the cost of any professional assessment.

Who at the College will know about my disability if I register with ODS?
The Office of Disability Services maintains confidential files. ODS follows FERPA guidlines and recognizes the right of the student to determine who receives disability-related information. This information is stored separately from academic records. The accommodation process requires the student to provide letters from ODS to faculty (or staff) listing the agreed-upon accommodations.

Is there a deadline for submitting disability documentation?
ODS will facilitate approved accommodations at the start of the academic year. Students are encouraged to submit documentation during the summer months. However, students may register at any time during the school year.

What happens after my disability documentation is approved?
Students will need to meet with the director of ODS to discuss individual needs and discuss accommodation procedures before accommodations will be provided. You can schedule a meeting by calling 805-565-6135.

Is there a fee for disability services?
No. Students are not charged for reasonable accommodations. Students are responsible for the costs of personal aids or assistance devices such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, computers to be used at home or personal service attendants.

What accommodations and services will I be eligible for?
Westmont provides appropriate academic adjustments necessary to ensure it allows students equal access to an education or educational program. The accommodations may differ according to class requirements and are determined on an individual basis using current and comprehensive disability documentation. Please use this link for more information on accommodations.

What other services are available to students with disabilities?
Many services are available on campus that assists all students, including those with disabilities. Writer’s Corner assists with all writing needs, the Health and Counseling Center provides a variety of services; librarians are available for individual research assistance, and academic departments have lists of student tutors for hire. The director of ODS is also happy to meet with students to discuss plans for success. ODS also maintains a list of community resources upon request.