Academic Progress Policy

As a student who has been awarded financial assistance at Westmont College, it is important that you are aware of our policy that will allow you to remain in good standing and make satisfactory progress toward your intended degree. Failure to make satisfactory academic progress may result in the loss of your financial aid awards.

Federal regulations require that all students receiving Title IV aid meet or exceed the academic requirements of the institution. In addition, Westmont College requires all students receiving institutional aid to meet or exceed the academic requirements of the institution. In order to comply, all financial aid recipients at Westmont College will have their academic progress monitored following the conclusion of each semester or period of enrollment (including Mayterm).


In order to receive financial aid, a student must first:

  • Have a high school diploma, or
  • Have a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or
  • Have completed a homeschooling program.

Course Load

A minimum full-time course load is 12 units per semester. During the first year of college, students may be encouraged to carry only 13 units each semester while they adjust to the rigors of academic life. A schedule of 17 units during each semester of the sophomore year and 16 in the semesters of the junior and senior years will bring students to the 124 minimum units needed for graduation when all four years of college are taken at Westmont.

Maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students receiving federally-, state-, or Westmont-funded financial aid must:

  • Meet a “qualitative standard,” by maintaining a Westmont cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.  Please note that grades from transfer coursework are not included in the Westmont cumulative GPA.
  • Meet a “quantitative standard” by completing a minimum percentage of all units attempted:
    • 1st year students (students with fewer than 26 earned units) must have completed a minimum 66.7% of attempted units
    • All other students must have completed a minimum 75% of attempted units.
  • As indicated above, academic progress is monitored and measured at the end of each period of enrollment.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Statuses

  • Good standing:  Student is meeting both the qualitative and quantitative standards
  • Financial Aid Warning:  A student who was previously in good standing and is no longer meeting either the qualitative or quantitative measure.  Such a student continues to be eligible for aid; there is no need for an appeal.  The student will be notified that he/she has one semester to regain Good Standing.
  • Financial Aid Suspension:  A student who was on Financial Aid Warning for the previous semester did not succeed in regaining Good Standing.  The student is not eligible for aid but may appeal for reconsideration.
  • Financial Aid Probation/Continued Probation:  A student who does not regain Good Standing after being on Financial Aid Warning and, therefore, is on Financial Aid Suspension, may appeal for reconsideration.  If the appeal is approved, eligibility for aid may be reinstated for one payment period.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Process

There is no need to appeal a status of Financial Aid Warning, as students in this status are allowed to continue to receive aid. 

Students on Financial Aid Suspension may appeal to the Office of Financial Aid.  An appeal should address any extenuating circumstances that led to the student’s academic performance, as well as discuss the student’s plan for regaining Good Standing.  Appeals will be decided by the Director and Assistant Director of Financial Aid and decisions made in response to these appeals will be final.

Reestablishing aid eligibility

Students whose status is either Financial Aid Warning or Financial Aid Probation must enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 units in a semester, bring the qualitative and quantitative measures up to or above the minimum standard, and meet the terms of the student’s own plan in order to regain Good Standing. 

A student on Financial Aid Probation and who could not be reasonably expected to regain Good Standing after only one period of probation may be allowed to be on Continued Probation if the previous semester’s performance would meet the qualitative and quantitative standards when examined on its own.  This will be at the discretion of the Director of Financial Aid.

Institutional Gift Funds and Academic Standards

The following institutional funds require a student to meet, at a minimum, the quantitative and qualitative standards of academic performance:

  • Monroe/ President’s/Transfer Presidents/ Candidate Award (min. GPA 3.25)
  • Provost’s/Transfer Provost’s (min. GPA 3.00)
  • Dean’s/Transfer Dean’s (min. GPA 2.75)
  • Faculty/Staff Ed. Benefit
  • Tuition Exchange/CCCU Exchange/CCC Exchange
  • Athletic Merit Funds
  • Westmont Music
  • 5th year Teaching Program Discount
  • Westmont Loan
  • All other institutional gift aid, regardless of the source/department originating the award


  • Westmont National Merit
  • RA Rebate

Class Standing

  • A student’s class level determines some levels of financial aid granted. Class level at Westmont is based upon earned units as follows: first-year students: 0-25 units; sophomores: 26-58 units; juniors: 59-91 units; seniors: 92 units or more.

Duration of Eligibility

Westmont-funded aid and Cal Grants are available at Westmont College for up to eight semesters of enrollment.

Federal aid only may be available beyond 8 semesters.   Transfer students can receive Westmont aid on for a number of semesters based on the number of units transferred at the time of admission to Westmont College.  For example, a student who transfers to Westmont from another college or university with 32 semester units of course work will be considered to be a first-semester sophomore and will be eligible for six semesters of Westmont-funded aid.  Cal Grant will be available based on the number of semesters used at other institutions.

Institutional and some types of federal aid are not available to students pursuing a second B.A. and /or B.S. degree.

This information is subject to change.  Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions.