Home School Information

Westmont welcomes and has enrolled a number of home schooled students in recent years. The goal of this statement is to provide home school families with up-to-date information regarding their ability to qualify for state and federal need-based aid.

All students interested in receiving need-based financial aid from federal, state or institutional sources are required to fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA–http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/). This is the only form that Westmont requires of applicants to complete (beyond satisfying the ATB requirement for federal and California State monies) in order to receive financial aid.

The Federal Department of Education requires that home schooled students satisfy an “Ability-to-Benefit” (ATB) requirement in order to receive state and federal financial aid. In general, all students must produce documentation recognized by the state that shows that they have graduated from high school. For home school students, the following options can satisfy the ATB requirement:

  1. Final high school transcript with graduation date, signed by a cognizant authority. A cognizant authority is a person who administers the program. In some cases that may be a parent.
  2. State Documentation approving the home school program. (For example: in the state of California, students can take the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHESPE-http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sp/) and be recognized by the state as secondary school graduates).
  3. General Education Development Test (GED-http://http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/gd//)
  4. Take an approved ATB test. Neither the ACT nor SAT qualify as an ATB approved test.

Should a home school student choose not to take options 2, 3 or 4, he or she may still be eligible for admission to Westmont, and any Westmont merit-based scholarships for which he or she qualifies.


Please feel free to call Admissions if there is any way in which we can be of help 800)777-9011.