What does vocation mean?
• a summons or strong inclination to a particular state or course of action; especially : a divine call to the religious life.
• the work in which a person is employed : occupation b : the persons engaged in a particular occupation • the special function of an individual or group
There is a calling on our lives. God has called us into his Kingdom and to be participants in his work in the world. It is the on-going task of every Christian to discern the shape of that calling through the various phases of life.
Vocation and career are not necessarily the same thing. Our goal is the assist students and alumni in both discerning their calling, and in the practical issues of finding a job.
Tools and Guidance :
We have several resource tools that can be useful in helping you make informed choices about vocation, calling, personality, interests, major and more.
• Strong - The Strong Interest Inventory® (Strong) assessment measures career and leisure interests.
• Type Focus -Type Focus is a multifaceted program focusing on the power of personality type to assist people understand themselves better.
* You will need to contact the Office of Life Planning for login information for the online assessments.
Your Major and Your Vocation:
Choosing a major can be a difficult task. We are aware of this challenge and through individual career counseling and our online assessments, we can show walk you through resources that can be helpful in choosing a major and eventually a career that is a good ‘fit.’ Additionally, we understand that making the connection between a major and career can be difficult. We also offer an online resource listing majors and possible career paths. Feel free to browse through the site. What Can I Do With This Major?