Quick Links to Resources
|Hiring Tenure-Track Faculty|
|New Course Approval Process||Program Review and Assessment|
|Supervising Staff and Students|
|Orientation of New Faculty||Department Chairs Calendar|
|Department Chair Job Description||Vendorlink|
|Guidelines on Filmmaking in the Curriculum|
|Adjunct Faculty Recommendation Form||Guidelines for New Course Proposals|
Follow the process outlined below (also found on the Adjunct Faculty Recommendation Form).
- Adjunct position approved by the Provost’s Office (typically, this conversation begins with the department chair and the Associate Provost).
- Department chair recruits candidate and recommends selection to the Provost’s Office by submitting the Adjunct Faculty Recommendation Form to provost’s administrative assistant;
- Candidate submits part-time faculty application and CV to the Provost’s administrative assistant;
- When background check is complete, provost (or representative) interviews candidate; recommendation form, application and CV must be on file in Provost’s Office before the background check will be scheduled).
- When the Provost approves the candidate, contract is sent to department chair, who sends it to candidate. Contract will remind candidate that the course and the salary are contingent on sufficient enrollment in the section.
This document provides an outline of the search process and some principles guiding decisions about hiring. All searches for full-time faculty positions—even those to replace departing faculty— must be approved by the Provost and E-Team. Prior to making a recommendation to the E-team, the Provost takes the advice of the Academic Senate about the value and priority of the positions.
To begin the process, submit a Faculty Position Request Form to the Provost by September 1 of the year the search is to be conducted.
Requests will be considered by the Provost in consultation with Faculty Senate. Responses to requests will be given by October 1.
|Checklist of Tasks||Permissible Interview Questions|
Supervising Adjunct Faculty New adjuncts will appreciate your help and that of your administrative assistant in getting them keys, finding their classrooms, getting set up with WebAdvisor, etc. Department chairs should plan to observe one or two of their adjuncts' courses during the semester and solicit some student feedback. This checklist provides some suggestions for orienting and overseeing adjuncts. This page provides some resources for part-time faculty.
Supervising Staff and Student Workers Department chairs oversee administrative assistants in their departments and will be asked to submit a performance evaluation of these staff members each year (May 15). Resources for managing and evaluating staff can be found here.
|Hiring administrative and other staff (non-faculty)||Use of Student Grading Assistants|
For questions about this page, please contact Rosemary Maione at 565-6007 or by email.