Professor of Communication Studies
Phone: (805) 565-6780
Office Location: Deane Hall 107B
M: 12:30-3:30 p.m.
W: 11:30-1:15 p.m.
& By Appointment
Conflict & Reconciliation
Professor Dunn has taught at Westmont since 1997, and was honored with the Teacher of the Year Award in 2008. She has led four summer programs on conflict and reconciliation - three to Northern Ireland, and one that combined both South Africa and Northern Ireland. Most recently, Dr. Dunn led a group of students and alumni to study the construction of pilgrimage in the Middle East, the UK, and Ireland.
Professor Dunn Teaches:
- Conflict & Reconciliation
- Organizational Communication
- Persuasion & Propaganda
- Postmodern Narratives (Seminar)
- Mass Communication
- Group Communication & Leadership
- Communication & Gender (Seminar)
- Public Speaking
- Ph.D. in Communication from the University of Southern California (Annenberg School)
- M.A. in Communication from the University of Southern California (Communication Arts & Sciences)
- B.A. in Speech Communication from San Francisco State University (emphasis on social movements and management communication)
- Grass Roots Peacemaking Organizations
- Sectarianism in the Workplace -- esp. in Northern Ireland
- Organizational Selves & Virtuous Identities in Non Profit Organizations
- Accounts, forgiveness, and influence processes
Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Dunn, D. (2009). Karl Weick’s theory of organizing. In Littlejohn, S. W., & Foss, S. K. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Communication Theory. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Dunn, D. (2009). Accounts and account giving. In Littlejohn, S., W., & Foss, S. K. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Communication Theory . Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Dunn, D. (2007, November). “Good work in a sectarian society: Articulating experience and virtue.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Communication Association, Chicago, Illinois.
- Cody, M. J., & Dunn, D. (2006). Accounts. In Whaley, B., & Samter, W. (Eds.) Explaining communication: Contemporary theories and exemplars, 44-127. NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Dunn, D. (2002, November). "Making peace: A comparative study of organizations in Northern Ireland." Paper presented at National Communication Association Pre-Conference: Communication in Action: The Communicative Constitution of Organization And its Implications for Theory, Research, and Practice, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Seiter, J. S., & Dunn, D. (2001). Beauty and believability in sexual harassment cases: Does physical attractiveness affect perceptions of veracity and the likelihood of being harassed? Communication Research Reports, 17(2), 203-209.
- Dunn, D., & Cody, M. J. (2000). Account credibility and public image: Excuses, justifications, denials, and sexual harassment. Communication Monographs, 67(4), 372-391.
- Cody, M. J., Dunn, D., Hoppin, S., & Wendt, P. (1999). Silver surfers: Training and evaluating Internet use among older adult learners. Communication Education, 48, 269-286.