Professor of Communication Studies
Phone: (805) 565-6138
Office Location: Deane Hall 107A
Monday 2-3:00 p.m.
Tuesday 1:15- 3:15 p.m.
Thursday 1:15-2:15 p.m.
and by appointment
Interpersonal Communication, Interpersonal Conflict
Professor Stern Teaches:
- Interpersonal Communication
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Health Communication
- Public Speaking
- M.A. and Ph.D. in Communication from University of Arizona
- B.A. in Communication from University of California, Los Angeles
- Interpersonal & Marital Conflicts
- Rhetorical Figures in Advertising
- Assessment in Higher Education
- Interpersonal Communication & Social Networking
Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Covington, J., Lee, M., Skripsky, S., & Stern, L. (forthcoming). Review of James K. Smith's Imagining the kingdom: How worship works (2013). Books and Culture.
- Callister, M., Coyne, S., Stern, L. A., Stockdale, L., Miller, M. J., & Wells, B. (2012) A content analysis of the prevalence and portrayal of sexual activity in adolescent literature. Journal of Sex Research, 49, 477-486.
- Stern, L. A., & Callister, M. (2012). Exploring variations of exaggeration in advertising: Perceptions and effects of hyperbole and puffery. Presented to the Mass Communication division of the International Communication Association, Phoenix, AZ May 24-28.
- Callister, M., Stern, L. A., Robinson, T., Coyne, S., Bennion, E. (2011). Evaluation of sexual content in teen-centered films from 1980-2007. Mass Communication & Society, 14, 454-474.
- Covington, J., Lee, M., Skripsky, S., & Stern, L. (2012). Habits of the heart and mind: Teachng and christian practices. Books and Culture (July/Aug). Review of Smith and Smith's Teachnig and Christian Practices: Reshaping Fatih and Learning (2011).
- Covington, J,, Lee, M. Skripsky, S., & Stern, L. (2011). Christian formation and the liberal arts: Critical engagement and application. Presented at Baylor Symposium on Faith and Culture: Educating for wisdom in the 21st centrury university, October 27-29, 2011, Baylor, TX.
- Stern, L. A., & Yee, E. (2009). Increasing faculty-student affairs collaboation: Workable options. Presneted at Christians on Diversity i the Academy: Annual National Conference, March 25-27 2009. Azusa, CA
- Callister, M. A., & Stern, L. A. (2008). Inspecting the Unexpected: The Dynamic Relationship between Incongruity and Visual Imagery. In E. F. McQuarrie & B. J. Phillips (Eds.), Go Figure: New Directions in Advertising Rhetoric. New York: Sharpe
- Callister, M. A., & Stern, L. A. (2007). The role of visual hyperbole in advertising effectiveness. Current Issues in Marketing Research, 29, 1-14.
- Stern, L. A., & Taylor, K. (2007). Social networking on facebook. North Dakota Journal of Speech and Theater, 20, 9-20.
- Stern, L. A., Powers, J., Dhaene, K., Dix, A., & Shegog, S. (2007). Satisfaction, respect, and cooperation between roommates: Self-selected versus paired roommates. Journal of College and University Student Housing, 34, 53-60.
- Stern, L. A., & Hailer, M. (2007). Presentation skill assessment: University and career-related presentations. Basic Communication Course Annual, 19, 139-166.
- Wrobbel, D., Stern, L., Puchner, L., Powell, A., McGhe, S., & Engel, G. (2007). Meta-assessment: Assessing the senior assignment. . A Collection of Papers On Self-Study and Institutional Improvement, Vol 3: Leading for the Common Good: Assessing and Improving Student Learning. Chicago, IL: Higher Learning Commission.
- Stern, L. A., & Solomon, M. A. (2006). Effective faculty feedback: The road less traveled. Assessing Writing, 11(1), 22-41.
- Stern, L. A., Callister, M., & Jones, L. (2005). Face time: Public sociality, social encounters, and gender at a university recreation center (pp. 25-45). In C. Morrill, D. A. Snow, & C. H. White (Eds.), Together Alone. Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.