Kathleen Smith Professor of Mathematics
Phone: (805) 565-6178
Email: howell 'at' westmont 'dot' edu
Office: Winter Hall, Room 307
Monday: 3:30–5:00 p.m.;
Wednesday: 3:30–5:00 p.m.;
Thursday: 2:00–3:00 p.m.;
Friday: 3:30–4:30 p.m.;
and any time you happen to find me in and available.
Professor Howell was twice honored with Westmont’s “Teacher of the Year” award. He has lived and worked abroad (Korea, Scotland, England), and co-led Westmont’s Europe semester. A piano player, he also enjoys tennis, ocean kayaking, and hiking with his wife (Kay) and yellow lab (Dickens).
|Course Web Pages|
|Fall Courses, 2015:||Spring Courses, 2016:|
Introduction to Statistics (MA-005)
Multivariable Calculus (MA-019)
Mathematics in Context (MA-004)
Complex Analysis (MA-140)
Westmont in Mexico (IS-192)
- Complex analysis
- Theological and philosoophical issues relating to mathematics
- R.W. Howell, “The Matter of Mathematics.” Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith 2015, 67(2), 74–88, (lead essay for a theme issue on mathematics).
- J. H. Mathews, R. W. Howell, Complex Analysis for Mathematics and Engineering, sixth ed., Jones and Bartlett, Sudbury, MA, 2012.
- W. J. Bradley, R. W. Howell (editor and contributor), Mathematics Through the Eyes of Faith. HarperOne, San Francisco, CA, 2011.
- R. W. Howell, “Does Mathematical Beauty Pose Problems for Naturalism?” in Taking Every Thought Captive: Forty Years of the Christian Scholar’s Review, D. W. King (Ed.), ACU Press, Abilene, TX, 2011, chapter 22, pp. 329–339, (one of 25 articles selected from among those published in Christian Scholar’s Review between 1970 and 2010).
- R. W. Howell. “Making it Up.” Review of Negative Math: How Mathematical Rules Can Be Positively Bent. Books and Culture 2009, 35–38.
- R. W. Howell, “Lewis’s Miracles and Mathematical Elegance” in C.S. Lewis as Philosopher, J. W. Dave Bagit, G. Habermas (Eds.), InterVarsity Press, Downers Grove, IL, 2008, chapter 13, pp. 211–227.
- R. W. Howell. Review of The Divine Challenge: on Matter, Mind, Math and Meaning. Focus Online 2005, Mathematical Association of America.
- R. W. Howell, W. J. Bradley (Eds.), Mathematics in a Postmodern Age: A Christian Perspective, Eerdmans, Grand Rapids, MI, 2001.
- J. H. Mathews, R. W. Howell. “The Tangent Parabola”. The AMATYC Review 2001, 25–32.
- R. H. Gundry, R. W. Howell. “The Sense and Syntax of John 3:14–17 with Special Reference to the Use of οὕτος … ὥστε in John 3:16”. Novum Testamentum 1999, 24–39.