Westmont College financial aid awards consist of grants, scholarships, loans and Federal Work-Study.

To determine eligibility for grants, loans and student employment, the student must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form is available in high schools and colleges. Students may choose to submit the FAFSA on the Web, http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Students must reapply each year. Returning students can expect to receive a Renewal Reminder e-mail sent to a valid e-mail address from the prior year’s FAFSA. If an e-mail message is returned as undeliverable, a paper Renewal Reminder letter will be mailed to the applicant. The FAFSA may be submitted after January 1. Priority consideration is given to students at Westmont College who submit the form by March 1.

Students may receive Westmont aid for a maximum of eight semesters or until the student receives their first B.A. degree. Transfer students receive aid on a prorated scale of the units transferred at the time of admission to Westmont. Aid is not awarded to students pursuing a second B.A. and/or B.S. degree.

California State residents should apply for a Cal Grant.

Students who are not on the Cal Grant Program and are applying for the first-time must submit a GPA verification form along with the FAFSA form. The deadline for submitting these forms is March 2. The GPA verification form is mailed directly to the California Student Aid Commission (see the booklet for mailing instructions.) The FAFSA is mailed to the Federal Processor. New Entitlement Cal grant recipients must be residents of California and reside in California at the time of high school graduation.

Financial assistance is based on the student’s merit and financial need.

Financial need is determined by the information provided on the FAFSA. Freshmen merit awards are based on students’ high school grade point average and SAT or ACT scores at the time of their admission to Westmont College. Transfer merit awards are based on the transfer college grade point average.

Financial need is the difference between the college costs and the expected family contribution (EFC).

The EFC is determined on a yearly basis according to a federally prescribed need analysis. The FAFSA’s need analysis evaluates a family’s resources and ability to pay for college. College costs include tuition, fees, room and board, books, travel and personal expense allowances. These costs are published annually and provided through the Westmont College Business Office.

First-year students

Once the FAFSA form has been received by the Federal processor and electronically forwarded to Westmont College, and the student has received his/her admission to Westmont College, the Financial Aid Office will review the aid application. When a financial aid package has been prepared (i.e. grants, scholarships, loans and work program) by the Financial Aid Office, notification is transmitted electronically to the student via the web. If preferred, a paper award letter may be mailed instead. Students are requested to respond by May 1. Late applicants will have two weeks after their award date to reply.

Returning students

A Renewal Reminder e-mail will be sent to all returning students who filed a FAFSA the previous year and will provide detail about the renewal application process. If an e-mail message is returned as undeliverable, a paper Renewal Reminder letter will be mailed to the applicant. If you have not received a Renewal Reminder by mid-January, please contact the financial aid office.

The processor will electronically forward the results of the FAFSA application to Westmont College. The Financial Aid Office will prepare an aid award and send it to out electronically via the Web. A student should submit a decision to the financial aid office regarding the financial aid award within two weeks of the date of offer.

Off–campus programs

Students participating in approved Westmont College off-campus programs retain their status as Westmont students and are eligible for Westmont Financial Aid. This includes, but is not limited to, Title IV Federal aid programs, (with the exception of Federal Work-Study), State grants and Institutional funds based on the student’s financial need.

Westmont financial aid (grants, merit and other scholarships, awards and loans awarded by Westmont itself) may be used for Westmont taught programs provided both on-campus and off campus, for up to eight semesters or until the student has earned a Bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first. Westmont taught programs are limited to Europe, England, Mexico and Urban semesters.

In addition, students who have Westmont College grants, merit scholarships and Westmont College loans may use them for ONE PROGRAM ONLY at a Westmont sponsored off-campus program (other than the Westmont taught programs) i.e. approved but not produced by Westmont.

Westmont Merit Scholarships

In the event a student leaves Westmont for ONE semester, he/she may have the merit scholarship reinstated upon return to Westmont, if he/she has not taken college coursework elsewhere.

All other financial resources available to a student must be reported to the Westmont College Financial Aid office. These include scholarships and grants from outside sources. If your financial need has been met prior to the receipt of these outside awards, we will use these funds to replace the work portion of your financial aid award. If the amount then exceeds the work portion, the excess will replace the loan portion of your award. If the amount exceeds the work and loan portion, it may be necessary to replace some of the grant eligibility.

Verification Process

Financial information reported on the FAFSA form may be selected for verification by the Federal Processor or by the College Financial Aid Office. If your file requires verification, the Financial Aid Office will contact you requesting copies of your complete US 1040 tax forms- signed and dated - and other verification documents. Awards are subject to change if information on these forms is different from the information reported on the FAFSA. All documents must be received prior to disbursement of financial aid.

Crediting the student’s account

Financial aid awards (except Federal Work-Study) will be credited directly to the student’s account at the beginning of each semester. The Federal Stafford and Plus loans have up to 4% fees which will be deducted prior to disbursement of the loan.

Loan Cancellation

The Financial Aid Office will notify the student or parent borrower if the school credits a student’s school account with Stafford or PLUS loan proceeds. This notice must be issued no earlier than 30 days before and no later than 30 days after the school credits the student’s account. The notice must include:

  • The date and amount of the disbursement.
  • For proceeds disbursed by EFT or master check, a statement explaining the student or parent borrower’s right to cancel all or a portion of the loan or loan disbursement and have the proceeds returned to lender.
  • The method and date by which the student or parent borrower must notify the school that he or she wishes to cancel all or a portion of the loan or loan disbursement.

A student or parent borrower must inform the school if he or she wishes to cancel all or a portion of a loan or loan disbursement. The school must return the loan proceeds, cancel all or a portion of the loan or loan disbursement as applicable, or do both if the school receives a cancellation request in either of the following time frames:

  • Within 14 days after the date the school sends the notification advising the student or parent borrower the school has credited the student’s account at the school.
  • By the first day of the payment period, if the school sends the notification more than 14 days prior to the first day of the payment period.

Federal Work-Study

Including community service, provides employment opportunities for needy students. Awards are based on the availability of funding and the student’s financial need established by the FAFSA. The amount of the Work-Study award is not considered in the college payment plan. Students may seek employment through our web-site or refer to the job board located on the third floor of our library. Contact LoriAnn Banez, Student And Alumni Employment Coordinator, if you have specific questions. Work contracts and timecards are submitted to our Payroll Office and wages are paid directly to the students every two weeks for the hours they have worked. If a student is not awarded Federal Work-Study, he or she may still apply for a regular campus job paid by Westmont College. FWS students have priority in job placement .

Student Loans

All Perkins, Stafford, Westmont, and alternative loans must be repaid. Federal Stafford and Westmont College Loans have a 6 month grace period before repayment begins. The Federal Perkins Loan has a 9 month grace period before repayment begins. Alternative loan grace periods vary.

Terms of repayment and deferment options are available at Entrance and Exit sessions. Examples of cancellation or deferment options include service in the Peace Corps, service under the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973. In addition, the state of California has a loan assumption program (A.P.L.E.) for teachers in designated subject matter or areas in California.

All Perkins and Stafford Loan borrowers must complete an entrance loan session if they are first-time students at Westmont College. Upon entering Westmont, information must be collected from borrowers in all student loan programs, and borrowers will be given details on loan repayment.

Repayment schedules are available to students at the Financial Aid office. They may also be available with loan materials.

If borrowers have situations that cannot be resolved through reasonable effort with a school, lender, or guarantor, they may contact the Federal Ombudsman at the address below.

Office of the Ombudsman
Student Financial Assistance
US Department of Education
830 First Street N.E.
Washington, DC 20202-5144
(877) 557-2575

This information is subject to change.