Music Fall Choral Festival
Westmont College would love to offer you the opportunity to participate in our Fall Westmont Invitational Choral Festival. The focus of the festival is pedagogical and performance oriented, NOT competition.
Choral Festival: Friday, October 26, 2018
Application Deadline: September 15, 2018
Choirs are accepted in the order recieved and enrollment is limited. Early applications are encouraged. The festival has operated at maximum capacity in recent years.
- There is no fee for participation. All choirs are invited to dinner at no cost to participants
- Schools that have cancelled in the past: $250 deposit that will be refunded following successful participation in the festival
- Cancellation fee: $250 when cancelled less than one month prior to the festival date
- All choirs will receive clinics with the Westmont College choral faculty and guests
- Choirs will have the opportunity to perform for peers by themselves and as part of a terrific mass choir
- College bound senior singers will have the opportunity to audition for Westmont music scholarship* consideration during the festival
- Free pizza dinner!
Clinicians will include:
- Dr. Grey Brothers, director Westmont Men’s Chorale and Chamber Singers
- Dr. Steve Hodson, Westmont professor of piano and conductor the Santa Barbara MasterChorale
- Dr. Michael Shasberger, director Westmont College Choir
- Dr. Nichole DeChaine, director Westmont Women’s Chorale
* Scholarships include the cost of private lessons and may range up to $10,000.
Westmont Invitational Fall Choral Festival Informational Sheet
Date: Friday, October 26, 2018
1:30 P.M. Arrival at one of the four locations to be assigned after registration
2:00-4:00 P.M. Choral Clinics, greeting, vocal warm up, etc.
4:00-4:15 P.M. Transfer to First United Methodist Church
4:15 P.M. Mass Choir Rehearsal
4:45 P.M. Session #1 - 1/2 of high schools choirs perform
6:00 P.M. Dinner Break at Notre Dame School
6:40 P.M. Transfer to First Presbyterian Church
7:00 P.M. Session #2 - Westmont Choirs & other 1/2 of high school choirs
8:45 P.M. Approximate ending time
The evening and afternoon concerts are free and open to the public. Parents and other guests are requested to arrive early to guarantee seating.
Repertoire for the Mass Choir selection will be announced soon. Link to be provided here:
REPERTOIRE SELECTION COMING SOON
All guest choirs should plan on performing in traveling attire and not bring or wear formal attire for the final concerts due to limited dressing facilities at the festival sites, length of travel for some choirs, comfort of the singers, and the general relaxed nature of the Festival events. Many schools in the past have opted for matching shirts, simple black & white comfortable attire, or other easily adaptable concert dress. Please be considerate of all of our guest choirs in keeping to this practice.
Keith Erickson, Music Department Coordinator