Campus Pastor's Office Chapel Attendance
The regular rhythm of chapel is a vital distinctive of the Westmont experience. Therefore, every effort will be made to help students prioritize participation in chapel and to work through whatever issues preclude them from fully participating in our worshipping community.
Chapel Attendance Information
While students are encouraged to attend every Chapel, each student is allowed 12 Chapel misses per semester. Students who have gone over their 12 misses will need to fill out this appeal form and send to email@example.com with the reasoning for going over the allowed skips.
There are 4 Chapel Attendance Statuses that can be assigned to a student:
Good: Good participation
Warning: Caution to participate
Probation: Insufficient participation
Suspension: Not attending Westmont
Students who have more than 12 unexcused absences will be required to meet with the Campus Pastor (or designee) after which they may be placed on a higher level of consequence. If a student has more than 12 unexcused absences, they may jeopardize their enrollment at Westmont.
You must be fully present and engaged to receive Chapel credit. Studying, reading, being on your phone, listening to music, having headphones or air pods on, leaving the gym, taking a phone call, and talking to others during Chapel will disqualify you from receiving Chapel credit.
- Severe medical conditions which temporarily affects Chapel attendance, such as hospitalization and/or going to student's family home to recuperate. Condition must be verified in writing by an attending physician or by an email to our office from the campus physician;
- Other extenuating circumstances, such as family emergencies. To be excused a student will need to submit an appeal, along with supporting documentation, to the Campus Pastor’s Office within 2 weeks of the missed Chapel(s) ;
- Students with children;
- Students away from campus on an authorized academic field trip. Please note: You will not be cleared if the professor has not notified us;
- Jury duty
- Students cleared by the education department to fulfill student teaching or observation assignments. Please note: You will not be cleared if the department has not given us prior notification;
- Students participating in internships that are approved by a professor and the Internship Office. Please note: You will not be cleared until a student fills out, along with the approving faculty member, an internship form that can be found on our web-pages.
- Athletes, attending away games on recognized intercollegiate sports teams. Please note: You will not be cleared if the department has not notified us.
Chapel attendance is mandatory.
Note: Work conflicts, medical/dental/physical therapy appointments, and illnesses such as colds and the flu do not qualify as excused absences and are to be considered as part of students allowable 12 Chapel misses.
If you have gone over your 12 Chapel misses, please fill out this form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have an internship or practicum scheduled on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and which causes you to miss a chapel, please complete this form. This must be submitted each semester you have an internship or practicum.