Parents & Families Parent Orientation
Congratulations and welcome to Westmont! As a family member of a newly admitted student, you have played a very important role in your student’s acceptance. We encourage your continued role in the development and transition that will take place over the next four years of your student’s life. 2020 Parent Orientation will be held August 27-28.
Registration for Parent Orientation 2020
will begin in July 2020.
Move-in day tips
- Make hotel reservations in Santa Barbara
(For information on lodging and accommodations)
- Check your student’s financial aid status
- Pay your first bill
- Encourage your student to sign up for a First-Year Seminar, the First-Year Retreat and a Pre-Orientation Adventure Trip.
- For more information, go to the Orientation website
- Enrolling in college is an exciting time for your family, but it also raises a lot of questions. That’s why we invite you to attend Parent Orientation!
- At Parent Orientation you’ll learn about the various aspects of the college’s academic, residential, and student life programs.
- You’ll meet President Gayle D. Beebe, faculty, administrative staff, other parents and students.
- You’ll receive information tailored just for you and gain a deeper sense of sharing in your student’s college life.
- Multiple outlet surge protectors
- Towels and washcloths
- Blankets, pillows and extra-long twin sheets (36 x 80 in)
- Laundry bag or basket
- Small basket for carrying personal bathroom supplies
- Hot Plate
- Microwave oven
- Toaster/toaster oven
- Air conditioner (small portable evaporative coolers okay)
- Halogen floor lamp
- Extension cords
- Candles and oil lamps
- Duct tape
- Pets (fish are OK)
- Chairs, desks or beds
- When you arrive on campus to move in your student, please follow the signs and proceed to your student’s residence hall. Student volunteers will be waiting to help unload vehicles and carry belongings to rooms.
- Your student's move-in time the morning of August 22nd is based on their residence hall and floor. Please arrive on campus at their move-in time and not before. Click Here for your student's move-in time.
- The Westmont move-in experience is energetic and helpful! Here is what to expect: A team of enthusiastic students will get everything unloaded from your vehicle and delivered to your student's room in a matter of minutes! A driver will need to stay with your vehicle so it can be moved to a nearby lot once the unload is complete. For your convenience, a shuttle can transport you back to the residence hall from the parking lot.
- Then head to the Parent Welcome Tent on Kerrwood Lawn to check in, receive your schedule and other important information. Meet fellow parents and Parents Council members, get answers to your questions and enjoy light refreshments and conversation. You’ll also find Parent Council members at Page, Clark and Emerson to answer your questions.
- Kick off the weekend with a celebratory session with President Beebe and the entire Westmont community
- Visit the Welcome Center
- Take a campus tour
- Meet President Gayle D. Beebe and members of the Executive Team
- Meet your student’s resident director and residence hall staff
- Meet other parents
- Learn about student employment opportunities both on and off campus
- Hear about the transition to college and the adjustment to college life
- Participate in a Service of Commitment with faculty, staff and returning students
- Enjoy a delicious picnic dinner, two on-campus lunches and one continental breakfast, so you don’t have to worry about eating out
A full schedule will be available in June.
The Parent Orientation program is created specifically for parents, with input from past participants. This program is intended to inform you of important information about services and programs that will help your student succeed at Westmont, and to address transition issues for the student and those who are important in the student’s life.
You can view the complete schedule for Parent Orientation 2019 both online and by downloading the Guidebook app called Westmont Community Guide. (available in iOS, Android and Web platforms). This will serve as your primary guide to Parent Orientation and beyond. Review the parent schedule and click the + sign to add events and sessions of interest to "my schedule." You may also wish to explore the FAQ link and your student's orientation schedule in the guide. All parent sessions and events are included in your registration fee.