Housing Sign-Ups for Next Year Off-Campus Commuting
About 140 students will live off-campus
Off-campus commuters will reside in Ocean View or in a non-Westmont property, depending upon the type of request that is granted. During Housing Sign-Ups for Next Year, there is a separate request for Ocean View and two different requests for getting approval to live off-campus in a non-Westmont property (see below).
Local Commuters at Ocean View
About 70 of our off-campus students will be local commuters at Ocean View (housing code: LCOV). Though Ocean View is a college-owned facility, local commuters at Ocean View have more independence and ownership for the structure of their community--primarily through an apartment association model. There are no Resident Assistants or required closed hours. Students may request Ocean View separately from a request to live off-campus in a non-Westmont property. Submitting a request for Ocean View does not have any influence on the outcome for requests to live off-campus by lottery.
Off-Campus Due to Special Circumstances
A number of off-campus spots will be granted to students who get approval for Off-Campus Due to Special Circumstances. Students who are granted off-campus due to special circumstances will be local commuters in Santa Barbara (housing code: LCSB), and they will reside in a non-Westmont property. The stated circumstances need to be verified. The qualifying special circumstances are:
- Married, or single and caring for a dependent child
- 25 years of age or older, as of the beginning of the upcoming Fall semester
- Part of a specific housing accommodation to live off-campus, as determined by the Office of Disability Services
- Seniors who live at home with family, locally (from Carpinteria-Goleta), and will graduate by May 2021.
- Seniors who will participate in Westmont Downtown (WDT) are allowed to live off-campus on their own for the entire year (if requested for it by special circumstance). However, off-campus is only granted within the same academic year, so seniors participating in WDT for Spring 2021 are not approved to live off-campus for the subsequent Fall semester following their WDT for Spring (as this would be a different academic year). Otherwise, seniors will need to live at Ocean View (which is a type of off-campus) for their semester in WDT. NOTE: Juniors and sophomores should not submit a request to live off-campus due to the special circumstance of WDT because such juniors and sophomores are required to live at Ocean View for the semester of their WDT participation. Seniors in WDT may also live at Ocean View, in lieu of off-campus on their own.
- Participation in the final year of the Education Credential Program (aka 5th year program)
Off-Campus by Lottery
Students who are current or rising seniors, but who will not meet one of the special circumstances listed above, may apply for Off-Campus by Lottery.
Students can apply either in groups of up to 6 students, or as individuals. There is no advantage or disadvantage in group or individual requests. Requests by lottery are drawn randomly without reference to the number of students in the request. Students who are granted off-campus by lottery will also be local commuters in Santa Barbara and will reside in a non-Westmont property (housing code: LCSB).
- Students who plan to graduate in December 2020 are NOT automatically granted off-campus living for the Fall 2020 semester, but they may enter the off-campus lottery.
- Students must be in good standing with Student Life, and in good academic standing, to be considered for off-campus living.