Housing Sign-Ups for Next Year Off Campus Commuting
About 140 students typically live off campus
Approved off campus students reside either in Ocean View or in a non-Westmont property. These are two separate requests: Off Campus non-Westmont housing is an individual request while Ocean View is a group request.
Off Campus Due to Special Circumstances
A number of off campus spots will be granted to students who get approval for Off Campus Due to Special Circumstances. These students will reside in a non-Westmont property. The stated circumstances below need to be verified:
- Married, or single and caring for a dependent child.
- 25 years of age or older, as of the beginning of the upcoming Fall semester.
- Part of a specific housing accommodation to live off campus, as determined by the Office of Disability Services.
- Seniors who live at home with their local family (from Carpinteria-Goleta) and will graduate by May 2022.
- Seniors who will participate in Westmont Downtown (WDT) are allowed to live off campus on their own for the entire academic year (if requested for it by special circumstance). Otherwise, seniors will need to live at Ocean View (which is a type of off campus) for their semester in WDT. Juniors and sophomores should not submit a request to live off campus due to the special circumstance of WDT as they will be required to live at Ocean View for the semester of their WDT participation. **This is subject to change as we are still finalizing housing for the WDT program for the 2021-2022 academic year.**
- Participation in the final year of the Education Credential Program (aka 5th year program)
Off Campus by Lottery
Students who are current or rising seniors, but who will not meet one of the special circumstances listed above, may apply for Off Campus by Lottery.
Students apply as individuals, but can name other students they hope to live with in a group. Requests by lottery are drawn randomly and individually.
- Students who plan to graduate in December 2021 are NOT automatically granted off campus living for the Fall 2021 semester, but they may enter the off campus lottery.
- Students must be in good standing with Student Life and in good academic standing to be considered for off campus living.
About 70 of our off campus students will reside in these Westmont-owned apartments. Students have more independence and ownership for the structure of their community--primarily through an apartment association model. There are no Resident Assistants or required closed hours. Students request Ocean View separately from a request to live off campus in a non-Westmont property. Submitting a request for Ocean View does not have any influence on the outcome for requests to live off campus by lottery.